Germany's big hall

News, announcements and discussions about xcskiforum.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Indoor track on 12 km - what do you think?

Great idea
60%
Stupid and crazy idea
20%
Not sure...
20%

Total votes: 5

Phil
xcskiforum 20K

Germany's big hall

Postby Phil » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:57 am

Recently I saw on German TV that they just opened an indoor snow track in Oberhof that can be used the whole year. it is 12 km's long and has tracks for classic and skating. it is build as a channel and has big windows, so that there is not too much artificial light.

Personally I think it's absolutely crazy to build something like that, just so that you can do cross country skiing in the middle of summer... the athletes do love it though, which I do understand. for training purposes it must be great. but it's crazy nevertheless... winter is winter, summe is summer.

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:35 am

It kind of makes sense since it is Oberhof, which is probably Germany's most important center for competative cross country skiing. I think the indoor downhill ski centers near several German cities are far more absurd. I love downhill skiing; I'd never want to do it indoors.

Also remember that a lot of these places in the former East Germany are really suffering, and for places like Oberhof winter sport is all that's keeping them afloat. Three winters ago, there was basically no ski season. That has a major economic impact.

If Oberhof is going to maintain its position as a premier center for nordic skiing, maybe something like this is neccessary. Remeber, this is the place where snow had to be brought in by helicopter from Austria and by truck from cold storage houses in Hamburg in order to stage the World Championships.

Maybe this is a desperate measure to keep afloat, or maybe it's a far-sighted move to keep on the cutting edge. Germans love their nordic athletes, and Oberhof certainly wants to keep their loyalty and not lose them to other locations farther south.

12km? Damn that's long!

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:04 am

Here's a video from the Oberhof website:
http://www.oberhof.de/index.php?id=1264

I'm at work, so I've only watched it without sound.

First, it does not appear to be 12 km, but rather holds a 2 km loipe. Bit of a difference there.

It also looks mostly intended for professional athlete training, but says it will be open to the public at certain times.

I wonder what the financing looks like. First, it's sponsored. Given it's training purpose, I'd also assume the DSV (German Ski Federation) is kicking in a sizable chunk of money. I wonder how much money the municipality is putting up, and I'm sure that there is some federal and possibly EU develpment aid. It would be interesting to know.

It opens on August 30th.

Phil
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 am

yes, but the tracks are in a way that you can do a 12 km track.

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:06 am

12 km is ilogical. Watch the video. The track is 2 km. There is up to a 12% incline, which might be what you heard.

First building and then cooling a hall with a 12 km track to -4° is not going to happen.

Here's a picture of it from the outside:
http://www.oberhof-skisporthalle.de/
"Insgesamt 2.000 Meter lang ist der Rundkurs, der durchlaufen werden kann"

Ami in Berlin
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Ami in Berlin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 am

"Am 24. August 2009 wird die Halle offiziell im Beisein von Bundesinnenminister Wolfgang Schäuble und dem Thüringer Ministerpräsidenten Dieter Althaus eröffnet."

This is interesting. It will be offically opened by the Thurngia State Premier Dieter Althaus, who you may remember was recently found responsible in the death of a skier he ran into while in Austria over New Year's. Let's hope they don't let him on skis to try this thing out.

Phil
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Ami in Berlin wrote:12 km is ilogical. Watch the video. The track is 2 km. There is up to a 12% incline, which might be what you heard.

First building and then cooling a hall with a 12 km track to -4° is not going to happen.

Here's a picture of it from the outside:
"Insgesamt 2.000 Meter lang ist der Rundkurs, der durchlaufen werden kann"

I see, then it was wrong in the various news I read a while back.

still, such a tunnel/hall in my view is just not very environmental friendly in my view. you know, I love xc-skiing. but somehow summer is summer and winter is winter. and there are lots of possibilities to stay fit.

Return to “XCSkiForum”