copying from TelemarkTalk forum

News, announcements and discussions about xcskiforum.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

copying from TelemarkTalk forum

Postby Ken Roberts » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:59 am

I've noticed in the last month or two, there's been more posting about (non-backcountry) cross-country skiing topics on TelemarkTalk than here on XCskiforum.com.

To me this doesn't make any sense, since groomed-track (non-backcountry) xc skiing doesn't have much to do with downhill telemarking -- and it's definitely "off-topic" on TelemarkTalk.

What can we copy from a more successful model?

One suggestion: TelemarkTalk has way fewer sub-forums than XCskiforum. It has proven that people don't need a special forum about Wax in order to talk about waxing. Too many sub-forums for the same basic group of people just dissipates energy -- too many different pages for me to check.
Therefore . . .
how about let's get rid of all these sub-forums which get only few posts . . .
like "Groomers" . . .
like the regional Trail forums: TelemarkTalk does just fine with regional discussions in the main forum, where they serve to build energy -- maybe it's worth looking at how that's handled on TelemarkTalk.
    One thing to keep in a separate forum: Races + Racing. Otherwise the racer-perspective will drive out all the other energy. (That was what the Usenet bicycling groups got right, and what the Usenet skiing groups didn't.)
At this point we need to concentrate and build our energy for skiing, not divide it.

Ken

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:11 am

I agree. It's more fun to scroll through messages and maybe even click on a few than to look at topic headers with one or two messages over the past year.
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

co-mark
xcskiforum 10K

Postby co-mark » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:25 am

I discovered both TelemarkTalk and this forum in the last couple of months. I've been researching some ski purchases, both a lite tele set up and a backcountry XC set up.

Bottom line is that even for XC topics, TelemarkTalk is much more active, has a lot more info/threads. I consider myself more of an XC and XCD skier, but there's just not much going on here.

As some people there point out, both telemark and XC are nordic skiing and have much in common, so people over there know a lot about both.

Amuzed2pieces
xcskiforum 10K

Re: copying from TelemarkTalk forum

Postby Amuzed2pieces » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 pm

just went to Telemark Talk and the site was down. not sure if its a temp issue or not

Return to “XCSkiForum”