XC downhill

News, announcements and discussions about xcskiforum.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Gike
xcskiforum 10K

XC downhill

Postby Gike » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:03 pm

Would any telemark threads be welcome on this site? I have always call it xc downhill, so it seems appropriate...free heel skiing is all encompassing, isn't it??
If its fixed, dont break it

Ken Roberts
xcskiforum 40K

XC downhill

Postby Ken Roberts » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:13 am

There's a whole other website with (very active) forums for XC downhill. Try a Google search on "telemark forum".

I suggest that xcskiforum.com stay focused on cross-country skiing on groomed trails.

and try to focus discussion of downhill and turning techniques on what's useful for groomed trails.

Ken

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Ski jumping is free heel skiing too, eh? I agree with Ken though. There are a very active Telemark and Backcountry forums out there already. Adding these to this forum would increase complexity and duplicate others efforts.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Eilert Pilarm
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Eilert Pilarm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:51 am

then again...when i went to places such as Snowshoe WV where they don't groom the xc trails for skating even when there's enough snow, I had to find the green runs to ski down with my skate skis so i could skate back up.

skiing back up the mtn at snowshoe is one helluva lung and heart burner i gotta tell ya!

:wink:

I took a Telemark lesson this winter so when it's time to ski downhill with my daughter....i'll telemark now

and it's one challenging SOB of a discipline

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:50 am

But you also climb hills in telemark right?

Alpinord
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Alpinord » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:42 am

You can climb with tele gear and skins, kicker skins, pattern bases and some with grip wax on double cambered skis. Like anything there are a range of gear and options. With a BC Touring or Rugged Touring setup you can classic ski, climb, tour and make turns if you want. The beefier the better for turns, but you can get by with lighter gear, practice and favorable conditions.

FWIW my 'quiver' includes classic, BC Touring, Rugged Touring & telemark rigs. All have their place depending on what I'm after and where I go, including BC. The latter two setups allow for decent turns, while the former do not.

Telemark Tips is the main tele forum.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there is a info & forum gap between classic & Rugged Touring/BC/Tele skiing. There is definitely crossover issues that would be nice to discuss and share.
Best regards, Terry, SlideWright
Active Life Tools and Wares

Waxing and base prep blog

zpinhead
xcskiforum 10K

Postby zpinhead » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:16 pm

I agree with alpinord, there is a lot of focus both on teletips and wildsnow about heavy tele/at and the rugged BC stuff but not much on the lighter side.

I joined this board to try and pick up some info more applicable to the lighter weight stuff (but hopefully not exclusively nordic/touringcenter oriented). Sounds like I'm not the only one out there with the "free-heel quiver"

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:34 pm

This thread has been quiet for a while but I'm sure you'll find others here with similar interests.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Alpinord
xcskiforum 50K

Jack of all skis, master of none

Postby Alpinord » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:48 pm

I posted this on another forum trying to drum up some dialog, but it seems us 'tweeners' don't quite fit in one place very neatly:

The aforementioned 'quiver':

One day it's touring or rugged touring out the back door, skate skiing the next, fast alpine, powder tele, BC tour,etc...depending on conditions, mojo, timing and other factors. Keeping the options open gets you on or in snow more often and each discipline helps the other.

With the big snowpack this year, hopefully we can climb for turns, touring or skating through June; tele, rugged touring, BC... on sweet corn. Here's a mission from a few years ago in the 'backyard'. ;)
Best regards, Terry, SlideWright

Active Life Tools and Wares

Waxing and base prep blog

zpinhead
xcskiforum 10K

Postby zpinhead » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:15 pm

my quiver's scattered between back porch,basement, garage, attic.

I guess we're either gearhounds or just a tiny niche within an already niche market.

moving over to offtopic or a more appropriate sub-forum......

jeff

MaineXC
xcskiforum 10K

Postby MaineXC » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:32 am

Groomed trails only? I didn't know that. I like to ski the snowmobile traiils outside my door and explore the back country. Thanks for the clarification.

MaineXC
xcskiforum 10K

Postby MaineXC » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:33 am

Sugarloaf is God's country.... you lucky dog.

Camilo
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Camilo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:41 am

Since I'm a long time telemarker and XC skier, I need to correct the title of this thread.

It is NOT XC downhill, it is Nordic downhill. XC and downhill are two different aspects (in general) of Nordic skiing

"Nordic Skiing" encompasses several freeheel techniques, only one of which is XC. For example, it encompasses:

Nordic downhill - aka Telemark technique, "freeheeling" etc. - as opposed to Alping style or snowboard.
Nordic style ski jumping (as opposed to Alpine freestyle or snowboard types).
Crosscountry (XC) skiing

zpinhead
xcskiforum 10K

xcd

Postby zpinhead » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:49 pm

but a lot of the old school skinny stick tele skis had model names like XCD (from xc-downhill)

Karhu, Alpina, and Fisher all did it.

snow's finally mostly gone around here (except at elevation), went fast...bummer
RSN @ Park City said watch out for ice in the shade, but I couldn't find any.
-
Where are we going?...And what am I doing in this handbasket?

comprex
xcskiforum 10K

Re: xcd

Postby comprex » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:03 am

zpinhead wrote:but a lot of the old school skinny stick tele skis had model names like XCD (from xc-downhill)

Karhu, Alpina, and Fisher all did it.

I reckon it all had to do with Steve Barnett's book 'Cross Country Downhill'

http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history/no ... -1978.html

Return to “XCSkiForum”