XCSki Forum Update / Outage / Issues - 2016

News, announcements and discussions about xcskiforum.

Moderator: Moderator Group

rmattson
Forum Admin

XCSki Forum Update / Outage / Issues - 2016

Postby rmattson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:26 am

Ladies and Gentlemen! Love it or hate it, we've moved onto the latest version of this forum software.

It was a perfect time for this seeing that there is basically not enough snow here in Central WI to hit the trails.

Yesterday the forum was overrun with hits (likely from someone's' bot) and it killed my hosting service. The host allots a certain amount of processor and memory and when you go over that amount they effectively shutdown your websites until it falls below the threshold. This measure is in place so you don't totally overrun the server and shutdown everyone else's' websites as well.

This is all likely due to the forum being an older version so, here we are.

All custom graphics and themes were wiped during the upgrade (not compatible with the new version). Over the weekend I will polish up the theme and graphics.

Also, going forward I will be using our Facebook page to relay information when/if we have outages like this.
https://www.facebook.com/xcskiforum

Feel free to balk or throw in any suggestions.
Ryan

rmattson
Forum Admin

Re: XCSki Forum Update / Outage / Issues - 2016

Postby rmattson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:02 am

Some progress and a little downtime tonight. Hopefully everyone is enjoying the new layout. I started to polish up the look just a little. I'll wrap up the logo this week.

We've had at least 70 junk registrations since I installed the latest version. I finally took steps up install an extension that checks a database of known spam IPs and email addresses during registration. Hopefully that keeps most of the spammers and bots away.

Happy Skiing.
Ryan

rmattson
Forum Admin

Postby rmattson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Well that was fun. Between some bad code on another site and a couple of the crawler bots my hosting was totally overrun. This in turn killed my business website for the better part of a day. We can't have that now can we. As a result I purchased a second hosting package for all non-business related sites on my hosting. XC Ski forum has been moved over and is functional. I think the bad code and crawler bot issues have been resolved but I won't know until a little time passes.

Happy Skiing!
Ryan

rmattson
Forum Admin

Postby rmattson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:12 am

I was doing some maintenance Tuesday night and I ran into some serious database issues. I had to have the webhost restore the DB from tape (they charge for this service). It took them a bit but they got it restored. It's possible that we lost a few posts in the process depending on when the last post was submit and when the database was restored from.

Sorry for any inconvenience! Smooth sailing from here on out.
Ryan

Return to “XCSkiForum”