Forum Move/Maintenance PLEASE READ

News, announcements and discussions about xcskiforum.

Moderator: Moderator Group

rmattson
Forum Admin

Forum Move/Maintenance PLEASE READ

Postby rmattson » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:32 am

In an effort to reduce costs of this forum I am planning to transfer the hosting services to another vendor. The move will happen somewhere before the end of November. I (and some others) am currently in the process of testing a copy of the forum that I have setup at the new host. The process should be very straight forward with no issues.

The plan is as follows:

The day of the transfer I will be putting up a replacement page for the forum that states the site will be down for up to 48 hours. I will copy the database (all users and current posts) to the new server and redirect the domains (xcskiforum.com, nordicskiforum.com) to the new server. Redirecting a domain takes time to propagate across the internet (typically up to 48 hours). As the change takes place people will begin to hit the new server. Some may be able to hit the forum immediately. At that point everything should be settled. You should not see any difference in the forum at all. The domain and all paths to topics will remain as they are now.

Please PM me or reply if you have any questions/comments/concerns.
Last edited by rmattson on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmattson
Forum Admin

Postby rmattson » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:40 pm

I've tested out the forum move. Setup the location and tested transferring all the data twice. Created a new user, posted replies, posted a new topic, sent PM's... (also thanks T2, ChrisM, Mik, JeffM) I think it's good to go.

I'm going to post a replacement "domain move" page on Friday evening and start the domain redirect. I'll transfer all the data as of the page post to the new forum location. If we run into serious issues we can back direct the page but I don't anticipate anything.

Again please PM me or reply if you have any questions/comments/concerns.

rmattson
Forum Admin

Postby rmattson » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:05 am

Well, it's done. I was able to hit the site at about 10 hours after the nameserver change. I added a line in the page header between the graphic and ads just as a quick and dirty way to tell if I was on the new site.

If anyone sees any issues please reply or PM me.

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Seems to work well from here (comcast-land). Nice work, and thank-you!

e.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:42 pm

Huh? What happened? I can't even tell the difference. :D Nice!

Return to “XCSkiForum”