Site logo and dedication

News, announcements and discussions about xcskiforum.

Moderator: Moderator Group

rmattson
Forum Admin

Site logo and dedication

Postby rmattson » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Hey all. Looks like the transition went well and everything seems to be working just fine. There are a few loose ends to take care of with the old hosting but no big deal.

That said I'd like to go ahead with a couple things but I want some blessing from forum members.

Over the last summer Gregg wanted me to help him with making some changes to the logo/banner at the top of the page. He wanted it to span the width of the site and also adjust with the browser. I wouldn't alter the actual logo in any way, just break apart the pieces and make a few adjustments, possibly use an alternate or multiple landscapes. Any thoughts?

The second thing I would like to do is somehow preserve Greggs name along with the forum. New members will never have the pleasure of knowing him but at least they can know who the founder was. Also, thoughts?

Please, any and all feedback is welcome.
Last edited by rmattson on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montana
World Cup

Re: Site logo and dedication

Postby Montana » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:36 am

xrender wrote:Over the last summer Gregg wanted me to help him with making some changes to the logo/banner at the top of the page. He wanted it to span the width of the site and also adjust with the browser. I wouldn't alter the actual logo in any way, just break apart the pieces and make a few adjustments, possibly use an alternate or multiple landscapes. Any thoughts?

A good idea. A simple solution would e to take the left to right faded background, copy it and flip it (left/right) and then place it on the right side. Hope I'm clear in what I mean.

xrender wrote:The second thing I would like to do is somehow preserve Greggs name along with the forum. New members will never have the pleasure of knowing him but at least they can know who the founder was. Also, thoughts?

That's a great idea. Perhaps small graphic that would show on all pages and a link to something about Greg and his work on this forum. Just an idea.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

smeurett
xcskiforum 30K

Postby smeurett » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 pm

xrender wrote:
Over the last summer Gregg wanted me to help him with making some changes to the logo/banner at the top of the page. He wanted it to span the width of the site and also adjust with the browser. I wouldn't alter the actual logo in any way, just break apart the pieces and make a few adjustments, possibly use an alternate or multiple landscapes. Any thoughts?

I've done these banners for some site before (school, our XC trail site) and could help with something. I think that photo is from 9 mile forest at the end of the first section fromthe chalet. Maybe we could get a few different images to use on the banner and change them from time to time with the XCForum logo over it, and fade it across to the right. Most banners are around 1000 pixels wide. If you have a digital version of the logo, just send it to me and I'd be glad to help.
Steve

The second thing I would like to do is somehow preserve Greggs name along with the forum. New members will never have the pleasure of knowing him but at least they can know who the founder was. Also, thoughts?

Please, any and all feedback is welcome.

Cloxxki
World Cup

Postby Cloxxki » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:00 pm

Good ideas get the least amount of feedback.
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

rmattson
Forum Admin

Postby rmattson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:04 pm

It's been a bit since I've dropped in to see how the traffic is here. It looks like membership is up nicely and the posts are flowing in decently.

Between work, school, skiing, and a ton of personal projects it's been rather busy around here.

I've FINALLY gotten around at a first attempt for the banner. I tend to be my own worst critique but I'm pretty pleased with the current iteration.

Any complaints?

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:42 am

xrender wrote:
Any complaints?

None at all....I like it.

8)

Are you planning on posting others from time-to-time on a "trial" basis?

e.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 am

Very well done!!!
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

rmattson
Forum Admin

Postby rmattson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 am

I had somewhat intended on making a handful of banners and having it select one at random or possible oner for each season. I'm not sure if I can break out into php in the middle of a .tpl file but I just realized I can do it with JavaScript as well. I will toy with it a little.

Return to “XCSkiForum”