trackset specs

News, announcements and discussions about xcskiforum.

Moderator: Moderator Group

L7
xcskiforum 10K

trackset specs

Postby L7 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:11 pm

Hi I'm new here and just have what should be an easy question. Just want to know the specs for a tracksetting device? How far apart should the two ski tracks be and what width? To do 2 tracks and have skating up the middle how far apart should the 2 sets be to accommodate the skating?

I oversee 500 acres of land with a variety of hills, pastures and forest. I have permission to put in some tracks. I've searched for this info here quickly and have been searching extensively on Yahoo and Google. Lots of info on overall width, slopes, number of hills etc but this most basic info seems MIA.

Appreciate any help thanks.

Pointers on a quick easy to build rig for setting the tracks would be appreciated as well.

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:30 am

You make them as far apart as the trail allows. If it's a wide open field, then I guess it's up to you, that's what makes your trails unique.

http://www.nensa.net/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=2

Is there a "standard" width for a ski track on groomed trails? I have heard a variety of dimensions (70mm; 68mm at top, 62 at bottom). I ask this question from a ski sales perspective: a customer claiming to want a ski for 50% in-track and 50% out-of-track probably shouldn't get a ski whose width would damage a groomed trail.
#

* CommentAuthorpatrickcote
* CommentTimeNov 28th 2006

Your question made me curious so I consulted a Cross Country Canada manual (http://www.cccski.com/dbfiles/469.pdf)

According to the FIS rules quoted in this, it looks like a standard track allows for a good deal of variation.

Depth: 2-5 cm
Width: 6-7 cm.
Space between tracks (center to center): 17-30 cm. apart...

“The ski tracks must be prepared so that ski control and gliding are possible
without a lateral braking effect by any parts of the bindings. The two tracks
should be set 17-30 cm. apart, measured from the middle of each track. The
depth of the track should be 2-5 cm, even in hard or frozen snow.”

So a quick answer to your question is 6-7cm.

I'll keep poking around and post if I find anything else.

:-)
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

kuan
Ski Forum God

Re: trackset specs

Postby kuan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:06 am

L7 wrote:I oversee 500 acres of land with a variety of hills, pastures and forest. I have permission to put in some tracks.

Lucky devil.

L7
xcskiforum 10K

Postby L7 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Biffbradford wrote:You make them as far apart as the trail allows. If it's a wide open field, then I guess it's up to you, that's what makes your trails unique.

http://www.nensa.net/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=2

Is there a "standard" width for a ski track on groomed trails? I have heard a variety of dimensions (70mm; 68mm at top, 62 at bottom). I ask this question from a ski sales perspective: a customer claiming to want a ski for 50% in-track and 50% out-of-track probably shouldn't get a ski whose width would damage a groomed trail.
#

* CommentAuthorpatrickcote
* CommentTimeNov 28th 2006

Your question made me curious so I consulted a Cross Country Canada manual (http://www.cccski.com/dbfiles/469.pdf)

According to the FIS rules quoted in this, it looks like a standard track allows for a good deal of variation.

Depth: 2-5 cm
Width: 6-7 cm.
Space between tracks (center to center): 17-30 cm. apart...

“The ski tracks must be prepared so that ski control and gliding are possible
without a lateral braking effect by any parts of the bindings. The two tracks
should be set 17-30 cm. apart, measured from the middle of each track. The
depth of the track should be 2-5 cm, even in hard or frozen snow.”

So a quick answer to your question is 6-7cm.

I'll keep poking around and post if I find anything else.

:-)

It looks to me like my quick answer is 17-30 which is quite a variance but I had started to get the idea there was lots of room for variance. I had a good idea of the single ski track width already and those numbers confirm that.

30 seems pretty darn wide, I'm thinking 20-25 should work pretty well for most people. I spent a good bit of time looking but Canada didn't come up on my google searches (I'm in Canada) but I had checked the US site and it seemed to refer me to FIS neither of which seemed to have those specifics.

Thanks for that I think that will help tons. Might go up this afternoon and start messing with it.

L7
xcskiforum 10K

Re: trackset specs

Postby L7 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:23 pm

kuan wrote:
L7 wrote:I oversee 500 acres of land with a variety of hills, pastures and forest. I have permission to put in some tracks.

Lucky devil.

It should work out as long as we finely get out of this -30 nonsense and a chinook doesn't blow through too soon and melt everything to brown again. The brown is sort of our norm around here.

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Where is "here" for you Mr. L7?

L7
xcskiforum 10K

Postby L7 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:58 pm

kuan wrote:Where is "here" for you Mr. L7?

Oh, that doesn't show. I know I filled it in. Cochrane Alberta which is just outside of Calgary.

This is a part of the land and the view from it except this year it's all white. (and -30)

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:20 pm

L7 wrote:
kuan wrote:Where is "here" for you Mr. L7?

Oh, that doesn't show. I know I filled it in. Cochrane Alberta which is just outside of Calgary.

Oh yeah it shows. Maybe I just can't read! :)

Looks beautiful man. You oughta post some pics when it's freshly groomed.

L7
xcskiforum 10K

Postby L7 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:03 am

kuan wrote:
Oh yeah it shows. Maybe I just can't read! :)

I just added that since you asked. I filled it in when I registered but maybe that doesn't actually update the profile because it wasn't there before.

comprex
xcskiforum 10K

Postby comprex » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:42 am

Pop up to Canmore and have a look?

At -30 you'll want quite a bit of taper just to stop the wind from filling the tracks back in.

Return to “XCSkiForum”