Kuzmin scraping and structure

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Kuzmin scraping and structure

Postby dcpattie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 am

I was thinking more about the Steal scraping technique - I guess you would NOT want to scrape skis with a metal edge? I would think it would be quite difficult to avoid scraping the metal edges with each scraping stroke?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:46 am

Just as a FYI, US customers can now order direct from Kuzmin.se. I just ordered two scrapers (17 + and universal) and the Alate Grip with gloves.

I'm new to nordic so I figured I can be new at waxing or new at "scraping". From reading these posts and others, it seems like you can get 85% the glide with steel scraping without all the variables that are associated with waxing. However, there's still much to consider, for example, even steel scraped skis benefit from a riller pattern.

The Alate Grip/gloves I can use right away with my rollerskis. I'll let everyone know how they feel. I'm wondering how much pressure is applied to the thumb? Kuzmin recommends going a few mm shorter in pole length.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:18 am

Had the exact same idea with being new to prepping and going with scraping instead of waxing. (don't forget the brushes).

The Alate grip is completely new to me but looks very interesting. Keep us posted. (Maybe a separate thread?)

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Got a new pair of classic skis (skin skis) that came unprepared which I then 'Kuzmined' (universal) and brushed (kuzmin high speed brush with fluoride) with a grinder tool at 10 000 rpm, and can report the glide is amazing at -4 C and -1 C.

Return to “Wax and Waxing”