New skiis - How to wax??

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

Greggb
Forum Founder

New skiis - How to wax??

Postby Greggb » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:19 pm

I just bought my wife a set of Salomon Equipe 10 Skate skis. What's the best way to start off waxing them? :?:

trailville
xcskiforum 10K

Postby trailville » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:30 pm

If you are looking for basic instructions. Swix has some nice tutorials at http://www.swixschool.com/

snowhunter
xcskiforum 20K

Postby snowhunter » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:58 pm

Best way would be to invite me over to stay at your place when you get some snow, I could do some base prepping work on your wife's skis, and have a place to stay and get some skiing in :lol:

Greggb
Forum Founder

Postby Greggb » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:39 am

snowhunter wrote:Best way would be to invite me over to stay at your place when you get some snow, I could do some base prepping work on your wife's skis, and have a place to stay and get some skiing in :lol:

As soon as the snow starts flying come on over!
xcskiforum.com Master Groomer
<b>www.xcskiforum.com</b>
[img:3udfsk04]http://www.xcskiforum.com/pichost/data/media/1/xcskiforumlogo_2.JPG[/img:3udfsk04]
[img:3udfsk04]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/xcskiforum.jpg[/img:3udfsk04]

snowhunter
xcskiforum 20K

Postby snowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:51 am

From skipost.com...

Waxing New Skis
Here we are at what seems to be the beginning of our ski season. The snow is falling across the country (perhaps harder in some areas than others, but we are crossing our fingers for you!).

Anyone who has gone to the trouble of getting a new pair of skis for the coming year is probably asking a few questions about how to properly take care of them to be FAST! Here are a few quck steps to get your skis ready for skiing. Something to always keep in mind is that the process of waxing is only made better when you are using your skis. Waxing over and over and over without touching them to snow will not make them as fast as if they are waxed consistently and then skied on.

Step 1 - Run grey fibertex over the glide zones of each of your skis 8-10 times. This will remove any micro-hairs from your base, and prepare them to absorb the maximum amount of wax.

Step 2 - The next step is designed to remove dirt and saturate the base of the ski with wax. Using a warm wax (CH 10 is good for this) melt it on using a wax iron at low heat (120 C). Use a single movement evenly across the base to avoid any potential base damage.

Step 3 - Remove the wax right away starting from the grove to avoid base damage. Then remove the remaining base wax using a sharp plastic scraper. Pressure should be even, and not too hard.

Step 4 - Let the base cool, and then repeat this process once more. The protocall for the second time is similar to the first, but you should make sure the wax is cooled down before scraping.

Step 5 - The last step should be to brush your skis using a fine bronze brush. Brush your skis on one direction, but do so until there is little wax still coming from your base. Brushing and letting your skis cool before is the procedure to follow as you continue with your future waxing.

Ideally you will wax your skis after each time you ski. This is the best way to insure your bases stay saturated, and continue to get faster. There is no substitute to this process, so we should leave it at that.

This information is part of a very interesting series of video clips SWIX has put together to help you properly care for your skis - from kick to glide. The videos can be found at www.swixschool.no (not to worry, it can be found in English as well as Norwegian). Please forward any questions with regard to base wax to weanswer@skipost.com or write directly to The Wax Guy. Good luck, and we will see you on the trials!

Return to “Wax and Waxing”