waxing fischer rcs plus for cold temps...

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

sk8z27
xcskiforum 10K

waxing fischer rcs plus for cold temps...

Postby sk8z27 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:54 am

I was just wondering what you guys use for these skate ski's. I've been skiing now for a couple years, but would like to try and master making these the fastest ski's i can have in any weather. I've been using start green in colder temps, but in say 15* to 30* what would be the best way to go? If I clean the base how would one layer this? Would you start with the start green or say fastwax 0 white then layer with the warmer waxes? Having these for two years now I've also thought about getting them stoneground and have been told that will make them faster too by putting a neutral structure in them. Thanks.

rich

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Re: waxing fischer rcs plus for cold temps...

Postby osloskier » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:00 pm

It's impossible to make a single pair fast in any weather. You need at least three pairs to do that. The reason is that the construction of the camber decides what temperatures the ski will match.

The best you can do with a single pair of skis is to find out at what temperature they will perform best and give them a structure that matches that temperature. If you use them outside of their temperature range, they will perform poorly no matter what you do with wax or powders. But when conditions are right, they will be great.

A "plus" ski will usually be best in warmer conditions, but I hear one can sometimes find exceptions.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:39 pm

It sounds like you need to learn waxing. Many ski shops have nights were they offer wax clinics. I suggest you attend. Also, the question about grinding has many variables, but the factory grind by Fischer is generally pretty good and might be excellent.

Jay

sk8z27
xcskiforum 10K

Postby sk8z27 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:31 pm

Well, waxing i'm still learning, but a ski tech at a popular twin city shop told me specifically the plus ski will work in all temps albeit not best for all conditions. he's the one who told me about using a baselayer of the start green. my question is more or less anybody with this ski know a good combination for cold temps. i'm building up my stable, but so far this ski does work pretty decent in all conditions, but trying to get that extra horsepower basically.

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:13 am

I hope I didn't sound dismissive, I didn't mean to.

A single pair can be fine for training in all conditions, but don't spend too much time and money trying to optimize for conditions they can't do well in. Ski glide is mostly decided by how well the ski matches the conditions, the second most important factor is structure.

Hold the skis with the bases against each other, then squeeze them together hard a few inches behind the front of the binding. If the tips and the tails are still touching, they will probably do well in cold conditions due to more lubricating water under the ski. If they separate with increasing pressure so that only two short areas in front of and behind the bindings touch, they will probably be fast in warm conditions due to less suction in wet snow. You need a well lit background to see where they touch.

If they have short contact zones, just use some inexpensive cold glider for cold conditions. Fancy waxing will not make a noticeable difference. Always err on the cold side, too warm glider is worse than too cold glider.

Return to “Wax and Waxing”