Noque +1C/0C/-1C

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Noque +1C/0C/-1C

Postby Blah » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:51 pm

Montana wrote:Looks like Swix changed there waxing suggestion somewhat. Here's the Classic recommendation:
Swix wrote:Kickwax recommendations
Binder Layer: VG35 Green Base Binder
Kicking Layer: VR50 (2-4 Layers)
Note- If more kick is needed, try VR55N, or VR62. If more glide is needed, apply one layer of VX53. If precipitation comes in the form of rain, KX40S Silver Klister covered with VR50 can be an option. If you have Zeros, I would prep these skis as well.

The feedback I got was that Violet Klister covered was the ticket. Not sure why Swix isn't recommending this because they have excellent Violet Klisters...I would not cover with VR waxes...
BNS had Violet Klister covered with Oslo Violet as their best kick. So right now I'm feeling pretty good about my early wax rec :D

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:20 pm

I went with Start Oslo/Racing Violet wax, in the klister zone only. Kick was OK until Deer Lake (8km?), but then it started slipping-out on hard kicks, and I had to back-off to using smaller kicks. From about 10 to 11am, there was some light snow (enough to annoy racers wearing glasses), and that improved the kick some. I could have sworn I felt snow building-up during the herringbone climbs, but it sheared-off when I went back to striding or poling (or at least, I didn't notice any drag). But after the snow stopped, kick was mediocre again. After the race, it looked like much had been scraped-off, though I could still make a fingerprint in it. Sounds like some klister under the Violet may have helped kick.

At the finish, I talked to a couple of guys who had brought Powergrip Violet to the race start, and it tested poorly. One covered with VR55 and the other with VR60, and they were both happy with results.

I'm not convinced that Swix' rec (2-4 layers VR50, with optional VR55 cover) would have worked well. It sounds like a klister (or powergrip) under a +1C hardwax was the ticket.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:57 am

Most people i spoke to did klister covered with oslo including the winners. Powergrip is going to be more like Oslo than it is klister. The klister was needed to give you a soft cushion under foot and to keep your wax on the ski. I would have gone with guru 39 or swix kx 35 or 40

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:28 am

4th place local downstate hero Milan used Zeros...

Are Zeros pretty much the same across brands? I now have Blizzards with the "weird sandpaper" underfoot and also a pair of Fischer Polysint which have similar.

Blizzard info said after surface wears off to re-sand tip to tail. Fischer info suggests all-direction sanding. ?

I've really been enjoying the Blizzards for changeable / 28>35 / fresh-ish conditions.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Current generation Zero skis were developed specifically for the Vancouver Olympics. The newer skis use a different base material than older zeros that offers superior glide IMO.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 pm

Blah wrote:Current generation Zero skis were developed specifically for the Vancouver Olympics. The newer skis use a different base material than older zeros that offers superior glide IMO.

The current generation commercially available Rossi skis use both of the old materials. They have the orange material that looks similar to two generations back underfoot and the clear material from last year's skis at the tip and tail of the kick zone. So it would appear that Rossi agrees with you that the newer material glides better.

I tried my 2 generation old zeroes with the orange grip material before the race and they were draggy. The new Rossis may have been just the ticket. The sleet, snow pellets and snow that fell during the race made things challenging.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:32 pm

I love miracle waxes. This Oslo stuff sounds neat. Is it a Super Wax? Narrow use zone or flexible/tolerant? I mean the stuff that's a blend of everything -- klister, hardwax, etc., in one tube. Is it pretty good in the "Zero" zone?

I also like miracle speed but don't ski that far anymore when going fast. I wonder if it would be fun to try some liquid cera of some kind. Well, I never have sprung for ANY pure fluoro blocks or the like. I recall Vauhti has a high value item.

I guess with the technical Trail Skiing that I do 90% of the time the main thing is just having basic kick and glide then the rest of it is ski-handling. I've enjoyed being spared most of the wax frenzy. But now'n'then I love me some nifty solutions to wax problems!

I've loved my Start Tape -- except for when roots scrape it off.

And I'm REALLY digging my new (old) Blizzard Chemicals.

But when spring slush comes around that Rex Brown klister was kinda cool that someone here tipped me to last season.

Once upon a time I hit some 12F snow, as I recall, and had Fastwax Tan (Salmon?) on. It sparkled when I ironed it. And it FLEW on the snow when I was skating. Didn't happen twice, tho. And I just don't skate much anymore. Nowhere to do it around here. ...Except during Crust Season!
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Postby steener » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 pm

At the last minute I decided to use my waxless skis, mostly due to the lack of training on snow this year (and my limited experience in this temp range waxing). Well towards the end of the race when wave 1 skaters started passing I was told on two different occasions that I was one of the few with kick. I can only assume that they saw struggling striders behind me. That made me feel better about my choice, even though I felt slow.

I will say that this year was far more enjoyable than last year.

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:00 am

Speaking of klister cushions, how do others put hardwax over klister without mixing? I have tried softening the wax and crayon-on, with no corking, but the surface looks too rough. My impression is that the wax would have to be skied-in quite a few kms to smooth out.

It seems like one of the spray-can waxes could go on evenly (maybe Swix spray violet). I've never tried them.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:44 am

SpecialGreen wrote:Speaking of klister cushions, how do others put hardwax over klister without mixing? I have tried softening the wax and crayon-on, with no corking, but the surface looks too rough. My impression is that the wax would have to be skied-in quite a few kms to smooth out.

It seems like one of the spray-can waxes could go on evenly (maybe Swix spray violet). I've never tried them.

I apply the klister thin and smooth indoors on a warm ski that has a clean wax pocket. I let the ski cool outside. Once the klister hardens I cork the hard wax on top keeping the hard wax as smooth as possible.

I have used some spray klisters and klister binders the same way. A little practice with them will teach you how to achieve a smooth thin application. Be sure to let the klister dry and cool before adding the hard wax.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:04 pm

I do basically the same method as Montana. You can apply it outdoors fine as well. In really warm conditions I will lay the ski down in the snow to harden the klister and then apply the hard wax cover. I like to touch and twist the wax on vs crayon if it is a sticky hardwax.

Problem with the spray on klisters is that you can get over spray and you don't get nearly as much bang for your buck. I'd stick with klister tubes and learn how to apply it the way the Norweigan Gods intended. :D

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:09 pm

Blah wrote:... I'd stick with klister tubes and learn how to apply it the way the Norweigan Gods intended. :D

I agree, the Norwegian Gods new best!
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm trying to imagine the mighty Klistretommel, son til Odin, Norsk god av skismør :axe:

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:49 am

:D :D :D

I cannot imagine that skismøring was invented without Loki being involved somehow...

Return to “Wax and Waxing”