Swix HVC

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Swix HVC

Postby osloskier » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 am

This seems to be all the rage now. Bits of info I have heard: Johaug's skis where topped with HVC when she destroyed Bjørgen and won the 30 k in Holmenkollen WC 2011. Bjørgen didn't have it. Swix says it's long lasting and that they can still detect it after 50 k. Hamran, author of Good Glide, says his testing shows it still has effect after 40 k if there is HF underneath. A magazine tested various combinations and found that it is effective alone, but more effective on top of other high fluoro products.

Any opinions?

I'm planning to participate in one of the long FIS races this year, so my interest in fluoro magic is increasing :)

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Swix HVC

Postby Blah » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:53 pm

I have heard good things about it in warmer temps. Feedback I have gotten is that the colder version is amazing at first but it does indeed wear off, at least enough to affect ski speed, after about 5km and the skis get significantly slower.
I love using fluor liquids because the skis become SO incredibly fast.

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:23 am

OK, thanks. I doubt I will be able to resist the temptation. I will report how it worked if I buy it.

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:25 pm

I have tested HVC Cold. It works :)

Kuzmin structure with CH6, HF6, HVC. I deliberately did not apply HVC to the rear 5 cm of one of the front glide zones, so that a small area with only CH + HF remained. After about 20 km water drops would start rolling at an angle of about 15 degrees and stop abruptly when they hit the HF. So the HVC was obviously still very much present.

Conditions were difficult with a light snowfall, -1 to -3 C and very high humidity. I had nice glide while everyone else were struggling with the slow, fresh snow.

Swix recommends HVC on top of powder, but in Hamran's test HVC on top of powder had poorer hydrophobicity compared to HVC on top of CH + HF. That does not necessarily mean that the glide is less, though.

Return to “Wax and Waxing”