English translation of "Good Glide"? ...any KICK book plans?

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

English translation of "Good Glide"? ...any KICK book plans?

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:30 pm

Anyone know if "Good Glide" will ever see English?

Any plans for a KICKWAX book?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Re: English translation of "Good Glide"? ...any KICK book pl

Postby osloskier » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:14 am

Good Glide also handles kick wax. Nothing ruins glide as completely as a poor kick wax job... The book should probably rather be called "Fast Skis".

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:49 pm

I wonder if I hired an English translator and gave the author a royalty (or a lump payment) if there'd be any market for it.

Think it has wide relevance for folks who have a jones for wax? ...Base prep in there, too?
Jeff Potter

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Everything you need to get fast skis for classic and skate is in there. It leaves out the most esoteric stuff and concentrates on getting good glide in an understandable and repeatable way. Hamran wanted to understand how and why it works. I think the book is very good.

Examples of topics that are covered: How to recognize various snow types, what mechanism makes wax and klister work, how to get grip without the skis icing up in variable conditions, glide wax, structure, powder, Gallium/HVC, quick and dirty prep for training, is there any point in spending extra for LF vs CH, is there any point in using HF without powder. There are tables for structure, grip wax and glide wax vs temp and snow type.

There is one subject which I really disagree with him on, which is rilling. Specifically, the roller type. He says that they don't work, I know for a fact that they do, and sometimes too well.
Last edited by osloskier on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:25 pm

...and it's way popular in Scandiland...

Maybe English would be a way to break it out of the mother tongue a bit.

Like, more French and Germans might speak English than Norwegian (where is he from?)

I'm just wondering if I had it translated if I'd likely sell a few.

Anyone here wanna read it? Think any US skiers would like it?
Jeff Potter

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:24 pm

I'd be interested in reading it.

Jay

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:43 am

Btw, the iBook costs about $12, less than a single box of VR wax and about a quarter of the paper version. If I were to publish it in English I would publish an electronic version first, then on paper if that was successful.

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:03 am

Here are all the videos from the book: http://www.gyldendal.no/Fakta-og-dokume ... l-God-glid

Check out 17-21, drop tests of hydrophobicity for various products. Particularly 20 and 21. His conclusion is that LF is a waste of money and that HF works, but only to bind pure fluorocarbon products to the ski. There is no point in using HF without fluorocarbons on top. He is careful to point out that he has only tested hydrophobicity.

Number 4 is also nice, I hadn't seen that technique before.

He has also looked into Kuzmin's tool. He measured the resulting roughness and found that even though the surface looks very smooth, it is in fact as rough as a medium grind, and also surprisingly hydrophobic. While he does not recommend it for racing, he finds it useful for dirty snow and for training and touring.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:22 am

JeffOYB wrote:Anyone here wanna read it? Think any US skiers would like it?

I would read it if it was made available for a reasonable price.

poimax05
xcskiforum 10K

Postby poimax05 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:15 pm

I would be interested too.

Do you think I could understand the essentials if I buy the electronic version and use google translate ?

Regarding the HF vs LF vs HF test: if LF does not improve hydrophobicity, then its only "potential" advantage would be for dirty snow ? Does he talk about this in the book ?

What would be his recommendations for a non racer skier ? Kuzmin ? Waxing with CH only ?

Looking at the videos on glide wax application, it seems he recommend dripping wax once, and then making 3 iron passes, while letting the wax cool between each pass. Is that correct ?

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Interesting about the Kuzmin for non-racers idea. It's come up a few times. Like: it's a good way to get pretty fast skis in a simple way. But the scraper only lasts a few treatments. I wonder how long each treatment lasts. And the scraper is quite pricey. Maybe the conclusion is that it's simple but somewhat pricey? It almost seems like a hi-fluor + topcoat expense level but I suppose it's quicker? To get pretty decent skis I can just use a basic wax, scrape, brush, surface rill routine and enjoy my play-ski time. And then do that cheaply for years with a basic set of waxes.
Jeff Potter

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:47 am

poimax05:

I suspect that Google Translate would do extremely poorly due to all the technical terms. But I'm sure you would be able to decode it if you really wanted to.

Regarding LF, he does not find any use for it at all. HF he finds useful, not by itself, but solely due to its ability to make pure fluoro products stick to the ski. He's also consulted with a chemistry professor to explain what's going on. He sort of assumes that the reader will be trying to get maximum glide, so he does not really recommend anything for non-racers, but he does consider what's good enough for training.

But his conclusion about glide waxing is that either you just use CH or Kuzmin, or you do the full package. No point in LF, and no point in HF without powder, Gallium or HVC on top.

JeffOYB:

To avoid turning this into another Kuzmin thread I answered here.

Return to “Wax and Waxing”