Base layers for Birkie

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

larsonian
xcskiforum 10K

Base layers for Birkie

Postby larsonian » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm seeing a few ranges for temps this weekend, but regardless it looks like it is going to be a cold one at start time. A buddy of mine is saying I should start with a layer of LF8 in place of a binder for my glide wax. Then put down a layer of LF6 and top it off with a couple layers of LF4. Does this make sense? His rational is that LF8 will help the other layers stay on, but I haven't heard of doing this before (and I'm not real interested in experimenting with waxes next weekend!)

I'm going to hold off on doing the top layers until we get a little closer to race day, but I'd like to start prepping the skis and figure I'd get a second opinion before I do anything crazy...

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Base layers for Birkie

Postby Blah » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Your buddy is right. If you haven't had any warm wax in the skis lately then it would be good to start with something warmer. The cold waxes will go on better witha softer wax to bond to. If those waxes are your only option then i would suggest doing your wax now and being done with it. It's not going to change much and green waxes are what you want your final paraffin layer to be.

larsonian
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Base layers for Birkie

Postby larsonian » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Blah wrote:Your buddy is right. If you haven't had any warm wax in the skis lately then it would be good to start with something warmer. The cold waxes will go on better witha softer wax to bond to. If those waxes are your only option then i would suggest doing your wax now and being done with it. It's not going to change much and green waxes are what you want your final paraffin layer to be.

Will do, thanks!

Return to “Wax and Waxing”