Base peeling gone bad?

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Base peeling gone bad?

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:11 pm

So I have some new old skating Fischer SCS's that seemed to have concave bases in the kick/camber area.

I have a sharp plexi peeler and it was leaving wax behind in the camber area.

So I also have a steel bar like a cabinet scraper that weighs about a pound and is about 7x5x1 in size. It has sharp square edges. I put the ski in my waxing form and with a few pounds of pressure on the bar and with the bar held at almost a 45 deg angle to the ski and with the bar angled AWAY from me, I pulled the bar toward me down the base from tip to tail. For the first couple feet everything peeled nicely. The base was flat. Then in the camber area it started peeling at the edges only. Sometimes it would catch and I would stop the process and move the bar back 8", angle it the other way, then start peeling again a little quicker to hopefully peel away the hiccup. This process seems to work pretty good.

...But really maybe it's not. Because something weird might be happening.

I'm getting a kind of "wartiness" on my high edges that I'm not sure was there before. These skis were a bit scratched up when I bought them but now they seem worse -- and in the areas that I tried to peel.

Now, my peeler isn't skipping or giving a skittery feel, but something bad might be happening.

I'm thinking I've seen the same effects from the steel peeler bar on other skis.

Is this a terrible base flattening method? I thought I read that it was good some years ago. Then again I recall reading about flattening bases using a sanding block. Maybe a steel peeler is only good for a final micro amount.

I'll try to attach a couple pics that show what I mean... (I'm not sure how to attach pics. I usually have trouble.)

IMG_0835 1.JPG
IMG_0835 1.JPG (139.71 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

IMG_0836 1.JPG
IMG_0836 1.JPG (113.22 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

IMG_0838 1.JPG
IMG_0838 1.JPG (123.18 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Loran
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Base peeling gone bad?

Postby Loran » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi,

I don't know how to gain access to the pictures.

There's a video from Zach Caldwell http://www.caldwellsport.com/videos/
"flattening"

There's also Kuzmin's and alike tools.

To properly remove a "wave" (or not creating waves) you'd pull the scrapper with an horizontal angle. See video https://youtu.be/VPoDYshn-Cc at 1:05

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: Base peeling gone bad?

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:58 pm

One foolproof way to remove a wave is to use some fine grit sandpaper, like 200 grit (black stuff). If that's slow, move to a 150 or 100. Once it's gone, go up in grit or do a pass with the peeler. The problem with sandpaper is it leaves the base extremely hairy. In the kick zone, that's just fine.

(Of course find a flat block for the paper.)

Jay

Return to “Wax and Waxing”