Beginner - should I hot wax my "waxless" skis?

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

Nevada
xcskiforum 10K

Beginner - should I hot wax my "waxless" skis?

Postby Nevada » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:39 am

I started skiing cross country with my family about a month ago. We've been out about twelve days, and hope to continue skiing this season three or four days a week. We ski mostly offtrack, or backcountry trails. We get lots of snow. Over 200 inches so far this season. However, the days tend to be warm:

So it tends to be 20F to 30F when I'm out skiing. It will probably start to get a little colder and closer to 15F during the day.

I bought waxless skis for the whole family, and I've been using a high flourocarbon rub-on paste glide wax on the tips and tails. It seems like the glide is improved and it lasts the day.

I've hot waxed alpine skis before. Is it worth it to hot wax my family's skis with something like Swix HF7?

sil_val_xc
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Beginner - should I hot wax my "waxless" skis?

Postby sil_val_xc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Yes, hot wax your 'waxless' skis with your favorite wax. You're very perceptive that 'waxless' is a misnomer. I hot wax the tips and tails of my double crown skis with a hard wax for better penetration of the base for durability, then use a paste or liquid wax on the grip section. I've hot waxed the grip section, too, and not often, maybe once a season, knowing it needs a very tedious scraping session afterwards. Then I follow up with the 'easy' wax on the grip section every day.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:32 am

good tips. but can't imagine hotwaxing the pattern section. yikes! tedious is right! ... i could see it being better if one used a soft red wax and just wiped it hard right after ironing when it's still wet... maybe a little hotwax would soak in. just wiping with F4 seems dandy.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Nevada
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Nevada » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:05 am

Ok. So I just realized I need to buy $400 in Swix brushes. Seriously, can anyone recommend a specific couple of brushes for use after the scraping and after waxing?

sil_val_xc
xcskiforum 10K

Postby sil_val_xc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Just scraping is fine, don't forget the groove. Snow is abrasive, and will smooth out a casual wax job. Just my opinion.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:51 pm

sil_val_xc wrote:Just scraping is fine, don't forget the groove. Snow is abrasive, and will smooth out a casual wax job. Just my opinion.

If you buy only one brush get a stiff nylon. Otherwise just scrape.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:32 am

Here in Sweden more and more ski enthusiasts are leaving waxing for steel scraping and roughening or skin skis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHgwp-BmxQ

Return to “Wax and Waxing”