Black terva and other cold kickers

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

sangreen
xcskiforum 10K

Black terva and other cold kickers

Postby sangreen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:27 am

I have been hearing/reading lots of good things about this wax. Got a classic race coming up that is supposed to be cold (~3F) with several inches of new snow forecast before/during the event. I have had decent luck in the past in similar conditions with the colder waxes from Swix and Rode, but am intrigued by the prospect of better glide and less risk of icing, which I have experienced even with 'cold' kick waxes.

My question for those running Terva: Do you use this primarily as a cover wax, or instead as the main wax over some type of binder. On that note, any suggestions for a binder to run with the Black Terva? Mine seem too sticky for cold, new snow.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Black terva and other cold kickers

Postby Blah » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:27 pm

For all tervas except black terva I run them alone by themselves in new snow. Terva black is usually too slick even in cold temps so I would put something under it like Rode Special green and then cover with the terva black.

What are you using for a binder? Any chance you are putting it on too thick?

sangreen
xcskiforum 10K

Postby sangreen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. The dedicated binders that I own and use are Toke Green Binder and Vauhti Super. My usual practice in cold new snow is to iron in a very, very thin layer of one of these binders and then iron a second layer of temp appropriate wax e.g. something like rode multigrade or swix V30, though colder waxes will prob be in play this weekend. After that just cover with thin layers of whatever is working best. I have often wondered about binders that are supposed to be used in powdery conditions (less abrasive) like vauhti AT but have never made the jump.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Its been cold hear so got to try out the old swix polar that has been in my wax box for 30 years. IT is -15 down to -30 on the tin. Had some Rode Multi purple/blue on covered with some swix special green and the polar on top. Worked great at -17 C yesterday. Good grip and glide. The Rode base wax was just what was already on.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:08 pm

The temp ranges on a kick wax tin don't mean much. If a companies coldest wax doesn't go to -30 that doesn't mean that it doesn't work at those temps.

I was kick waxing for some races yesterday. Temp was below 0 F on man made snow. I tried all the usual suspects and of course everything kicked but it was also all draggy. The fastest kick wax ended up being Rode Super Weiss which according to the tin was no where near being correct according to the temp ranges but it was much faster than special green or alaska.

Return to “Wax and Waxing”