Economy Performance Glide wax

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Economy Performance Glide wax

Postby TooHeavy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:01 am

This wax is sure getting expensive. Been using the Toko hydro carbon training wax. $18 for 120 size after the tax man got his cut. Seen this KUU stuff might be a little cheaper to use. Anyone use it ? Anyone found a good low cost nordic glide wax. If so what size and regular retail price ? :|

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Economy Performance Glide wax

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:16 am

I recommend steel scraping with Kuzmin, Skimateria or Skigo steel scrapers instead of glide waxing.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:I recommend steel scraping with Kuzmin, Skimateria or Skigo steel scrapers instead of glide waxing.
Why? do you do this instead of waxing your ski's ?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:20 pm

TooHeavy wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:I recommend steel scraping with Kuzmin, Skimateria or Skigo steel scrapers instead of glide waxing.

Because it is easier, friendlier to your health and the environment, cheaper in the long run, and often gives better results than glide waxing. A lot of skiers here in Sweden use these tools instead of glide waxing.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Skigo makes one of these nowax scrapers? I just looked at their site, didn't see it.

I wonder if I could hone a "trued" steel bar to a really fine cabinet scraper edge and use that to do nowax scraping.

Do you then rill and brush, etc., as normal?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:23 am

JeffOYB wrote:Skigo makes one of these nowax scrapers? I just looked at their site, didn't see it.

According to Christer Majbäck of Skigo it ins't really intended to be used without glide waxing (Skigo wants to sell their glide waxes too) although it is possible to do so. Here is the Skigo base scraper demonstrated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKwZYvuiPUM

JeffOYB wrote:I wonder if I could hone a "trued" steel bar to a really fine cabinet scraper edge and use that to do nowax scraping.

I read about a carpenter that did that. The ski base scrapers have edges that are different from cabinet scrapers so I believe you should study the edges of a few base scrapers before giving it a try.

JeffOYB wrote:Do you then rill and brush, etc., as normal?

Rilling is optional although often used but brushing (often roto-brushing) is standard.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:07 pm

I live in a place where it is not possible to hold or see any Kuzmin like scrapers. Never heard of one being used in lower Michigan. I'll ask at our local ski shop next time I'm there. It's 150+ miles away.

I bought a auto-trade nylon rotary brush that looks like a ski type roto brush. I chock it into my drill and it seems to shine up my bases nicely. It doesn't have a far-end handle but it seems like I can pressure it fairly evenly. I don't pressure it that hard. I can swap the drill around to balance the forces on both sides.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:21 pm

JeffOYB wrote:I live in a place where it is not possible to hold or see any Kuzmin like scrapers. Never heard of one being used in lower Michigan. I'll ask at our local ski shop next time I'm there. It's 150+ miles away.

I bought a auto-trade nylon rotary brush that looks like a ski type roto brush. I chock it into my drill and it seems to shine up my bases nicely. It doesn't have a far-end handle but it seems like I can pressure it fairly evenly. I don't pressure it that hard. I can swap the drill around to balance the forces on both sides.

At http://www.kuzmin.se/pgs/scrapers_engl.html are some pictures that will give you an idea of how Kuzmin scrapers are constructed.

I believe you don't need to press at all. Just distribute the weight of the drill evenly.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:06 pm

Interesting but I get the impression the Skigo system and the Kuzmin are just super refined tools for base prep. Still suppose to wax the ski's :?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:23 pm

TooHeavy wrote:Interesting but I get the impression the Skigo system and the Kuzmin are just super refined tools for base prep. Still suppose to wax the ski's :?

Skigo wants you to buy its glide wax too, but Leonid Kuzmin of Kuzmin Ski Technology thinks it is better avoided. Steel scraped classic skis do of course need kick wax if no other grip technology is used.

m2qItMot
xcskiforum 10K

Postby m2qItMot » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Has anyone you tried, or heard anything about the new "017" series Kuzmin scrapes? The two-piece ones? I mean, beyond what is obvious from the website and videos.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:05 am

"Kuzmin the new platform of ski glide performance." That is a quote from their web site title. That tells me this is base prep tech (ie platform of ski glide performance) The only place this could be faster than waxed ski's would be in warm dirty snow because of less dirt build up on the base after many Km of skiing. Not buying the no wax glide wax theory.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:15 pm

TooHeavy wrote:"Kuzmin the new platform of ski glide performance." That is a quote from their web site title. That tells me this is base prep tech (ie platform of ski glide performance)

Of course it is base preparation. Has somebody said otherwise?

TooHeavy wrote:The only place this could be faster than waxed ski's would be in warm dirty snow because of less dirt build up on the base after many Km of skiing.

How do you know? Have you studied it at the same level Leonid Kuzmin has?

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:
TooHeavy wrote:

Because it is easier, friendlier to your health and the environment, cheaper in the long run, and often gives better results than glide waxing. A lot of skiers here in Sweden use these tools instead of glide waxing.
You said and if you want I can repost some of your other BS. Do you ski or just play around on the computer ?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 pm

TooHeavy wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:
TooHeavy wrote:Why? do you do this instead of waxing your ski's ?

You said and if you want I can repost some of your other BS. Do you ski or just play around on the computer ?

OK, I see you can't answer my questions.

Return to “Wax and Waxing”