Glide waxing question-recreational skis

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

DeaconBlues
xcskiforum 10K

Glide waxing question-recreational skis

Postby DeaconBlues » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:31 pm

My wife and I have recently made the switch to waxable classic skis this year. After trying both liquid and solid F4 glide wax, I've ordered an iron, and some Fast Wax HS waxes and base prep wax.

I have three pairs of skis I will need to glide wax. Salomon Equipe, Fischer Country, and Rossignol Xtours for my wife. These skis have never gotten any hot wax applied to them, only F4.

Do I need to use wax remover on them first, or do I just set about hot waxing and scraping?

Thanks for any advice! Been doing quite a bit of reading here since picking up waxable skis!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Glide waxing question-recreational skis

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 am

DeaconBlues wrote:My wife and I have recently made the switch to waxable classic skis this year. After trying both liquid and solid F4 glide wax, I've ordered an iron, and some Fast Wax HS waxes and base prep wax.

I have three pairs of skis I will need to glide wax. Salomon Equipe, Fischer Country, and Rossignol Xtours for my wife. These skis have never gotten any hot wax applied to them, only F4.

Do I need to use wax remover on them first, or do I just set about hot waxing and scraping?

Thanks for any advice! Been doing quite a bit of reading here since picking up waxable skis!

I recommend setting about steel scraping. I don't think recreational skiers need to glide wax at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHgwp-BmxQ

sangreen
xcskiforum 10K

Postby sangreen » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:43 am

I would just brush them out thoroughly with a bronze or steel brush and start waxing. I would also mention that a decent wax bench is essential. If you do a google search for something like "homemade wax bench" or "DIY wax bench" you will find several inexpensive and very functional options.

DeaconBlues
xcskiforum 10K

Postby DeaconBlues » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:My wife and I have recently made the switch to waxable classic skis this year. After trying both liquid and solid F4 glide wax, I've ordered an iron, and some Fast Wax HS waxes and base prep wax.

I recommend setting about steel scraping. I don't think recreational skiers need to glide wax at all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHgwp-BmxQ

Thanks...I've read through some of the scraping posts here...will have to dig a bit deeper.
Last edited by DeaconBlues on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeaconBlues
xcskiforum 10K

Postby DeaconBlues » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:46 pm

sangreen wrote:I would just brush them out thoroughly with a bronze or steel brush and start waxing. I would also mention that a decent wax bench is essential. If you do a google search for something like "homemade wax bench" or "DIY wax bench" you will find several inexpensive and very functional options.

Thanks, will just brush and start waxing. Building a wax bench was one of the first things I did after getting a pair of waxable skis.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:33 am

well-waxed skis are awesome!

its fun to find your kickzone for both hardwax and klister. fun to get good glide.

also iron the kick sometimes. improves the glide. prolly also the kick. might reduce icing risk w smooth surface.

you dont even need groomed trail to enjoy waxed skis.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

DeaconBlues
xcskiforum 10K

Postby DeaconBlues » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:29 pm

So far, the waxable skis have been great. The glide waxing went ok for my first time....seemed to work pretty well this past weekend on the trails. I did iron in some binder in the kick zone too.

We're hoping the touring skis will work well on some local ungroomed trails...and, some 1500+ acres are hopefully going to open up to us next year....literally right out our back door!

My wife is really liking the Rossi X tours I picked up on ebay a few weeks ago... :D

Return to “Wax and Waxing”