How Long Does Liquid Glide Wax Last?

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

skD1am0nd
xcskiforum 10K

How Long Does Liquid Glide Wax Last?

Postby skD1am0nd » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:08 pm

I do predominantly back country skiing and I have several pairs of "waxless" Nordic skis. I put liquid Swix F4 glide wax on every time before I ski. It is not a big deal to put it on but does anyone know how long these waxes should last? If the snow conditions are the same do I have to repeat every day? Every N kilometers? Some people put on fresh wax on tour. I suspect the answer to my questions is "it depends" (types of skis, snow conditions, etc.) but, other than having snow clump onto the bottom of your skis, is there an easy method to tell if the wax is used up? Can most people "feel" the wax is used by having their skis glide slower?

Thanks, Scott

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Re: How Long Does Liquid Glide Wax Last?

Postby Raubie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Much, much less than a proper waxing (iron/parrafin wax/scraper/nylon brush). The Swix F4 liquid helps reduce icing under foot in the dreaded fresh snow of 28°F-33°F, but wears away quickly. It's the wax "in the base" that reduces friction in cold/dry snow and suction in warmer/wetter snow. You'll get 6o+ kms from a proper hot waxing, plus the cold waxes harden your base, increasing their lifespan. The more often you hot wax,the faster they get.

On the other hand, some members (Osloskier/Neuro/others?) find great results for recreational skiing using Kuzmin scrapers on the glide zones instead of any wax.

skD1am0nd
xcskiforum 10K

Re: How Long Does Liquid Glide Wax Last?

Postby skD1am0nd » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks. Great input on the life/advantage of a hot wax. But back to the liquid glide wax, any way of seeing how much is left of when it needs replenishing? I always bring it on tour and I have stopped mid-tour to reapply (when dreaded snow starts to stick to pattern) but I wish I could examine the base and estimate how close it is to being used up.

Return to “Wax and Waxing”