Cheap alternatives?

What works best and How to

Moderator: Moderator Group

kuan
Ski Forum God

Cheap alternatives?

Postby kuan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:20 pm

Anyone have cheap alternatives for waxing equipment? For example I can't believe that Swix repackages and sells Scotchbrite for $7.00USD. I use goo gone for wax remover. I'm looking for alternatives to heat pads, fiberlene, glue for grips and baskets, and white Scotchbrite. Anything else?

ChrisM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ChrisM » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:57 pm

Not positive but I think some of the scothbrite found in hardware stores contains abrasive particles?

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Postby E365 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:29 am

I've been searching for some alternatives myself. I did some research on the Scotchbrite pads, and I think these 3M part numbers match the Swix products.

Still searching for a pole glue. Normal hot glue requires too high of a temperature.

There has to be a good lint-free paper towel out there... Maybe the Swix Fiberlene is 3M stuff as well?

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:18 pm

Well I got a Scotchbrite pad at the grocery store. It's a white pad/pink sponge combination. I can't tell if it's the exact same stuff or not because I don't have any of the genuine stuff.

snowhunter
xcskiforum 20K

Postby snowhunter » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:14 pm

For pole glue, I've been using Goop/Shoe goo for years, and it seems to work very well. Put it on at room temp, let it dry for a few hours, and holds stuff real good. Stick the baskets or grips in boiling/hot water or heat them with an electric hair dryer on hot, and the stuff loosens up easily. Haven't lost a basket or pole grip to date (now I've jinxed myself).

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:22 am

Usually the search for cheaper products is not worth the time. Fibertex is almost never needed for skis. Yeah, a couple passes on new skis but you can do without. Pole glue...when you buy new poles and they're not put together, you get the glue free with the poles. Shops will sell this glue very cheap since they have a ton. (If you buy stuff they may give it to you.) A bottle of wax remover lasts a long time...years. I also use it to clean my hands after working on the bike. I've never used fiberlene, and I've skied for almost 20 years. (Maybe I'm missing something.)

Many people try to make due with a cheap clothes iron (and that's a mistake since the thermostat will be ruined eventually by the wax fumes). A cheap ski iron is only $50 or so, and you won't cook your skis.

There's a big difference between teflon (PTFE) and Cera F (or 100% perflourocarbon), and many people believe there's a difference between the various perflouro's on the market (Swix, Toko, Solda, SkiGo...). The difference is in the chain length of the molecule. For a wet 10 km race, the (short molecule) teflon products may be fine, but the advantage of the perflouros is they often are faster in many other snow conditions, and if you iron them, they have good durability.

The suggestion of just a few waxes to save money is spot on. Something like Swix CH4, LF6, HF8, and a pure fluoro will make a good, cheap race wax setup. For training, take a look at buying bulk waxes (5x180g of 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10). Many of the wax companies sell in larger sizes, but you have to search or ask for the larger sizes. Of course this idea can really save if you and a buddy are willing to split the cost and split the wax.

Another way to save money is to buy the second tier poles, skis and boots. Often these are great products, but the top-of-the-line gear always commands a premium price.

JW

Return to “Wax and Waxing”