Peter Lougheed park (Alberta)

Trail Conditions Across Canada

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

Peter Lougheed park (Alberta)

Postby LewLasher » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm

This past week I skied in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park in Alberta. Conditions were generally good to very good.

Peter Lougheed (pronounced LAW-heed) park, in the Kananaskis valley, is convenient to Calgary, and is an economical (free groomed trails) alternative to better-known ski areas such as Canmore.

There is no nordic center, and no ski rentals, waxing rooms, or food service. However, there are several heated buildings with restrooms: the Visitor Centre, the William Watson Lodge, and the Pocaterra hut.

The trail map was good, but the signage was spotty, with some intersections lacking any trail signs.

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Peter Lougheed park (Alberta)

Postby Neuro » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:19 am

Looks like a beautiful area and interesting trails are free. Is this more common in Canada than USA would you say?

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 am

Neuro wrote:trails are free. Is this more common in Canada than USA would you say?

I don't know - this is only my second time skiing in Canada west of Quebec. But, my guess is that it is not especially common either in Canada or in the USA. What I think I detect as a difference is that, in Canada, cross-country ski areas seem to be more likely located on public land (for example, in parks) than is the case in the northeast U.S. (New England and New York state), where they are more likely on privately-owned land.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Free Groomed trails. Nothing like that in South Ont. Probably the highest trail fees going for good skiing hear. $20 to $30 for a day pass. Hardwood Hills , Horseshoe Valley. Scenic Caves, Highlands Nordic. Good grooming but you pay for it.

Return to “Canada”