Nov. skiing has been fabulous in Ontario

Trail Conditions Across Canada

Moderator: Moderator Group

Waxing&Waning
xcskiforum 10K

Nov. skiing has been fabulous in Ontario

Postby Waxing&Waning » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:26 pm

[Nov.22]Two weeks to the day after my last trail ride on my mtbike and we are on the skinny skis (-8. Would have been even sooner,
but something called work got in the way. I grabbed the P&S camera, and of course later wished I had taken the DSLR.
Maybe I don't get out enough but I could not help notice the many fit young females in ski tights on the trails today, often in groups (sorry-no pics of that).
Take up xc-skiing you guys!! I understand now why it's called Hardwood Hills!! But I digress....

Last edited by Waxing&Waning on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waxing&Waning
xcskiforum 10K

a couple more from the next weekend...Nov 30

Postby Waxing&Waning » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:29 pm

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Sweet trail and awesome pix! :D

Full on winter there already.

How many inches/cm of snow do you get there a season? Lake effect snows? What do the winter temps run?

:-)
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

Shawn
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Shawn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:31 pm

I live in Orangeville,about an hour away from where these pictures were taken. Lake effect snow coming in off of Georgian bay dumps lots of snow in this area. Whereas down in Toronto(an hour/half away and a lower elevation) they get very little snow as compared to here.......Toronto could not keep a nordic facility going due to mild temps and lack of snow.

Last winter we had 3 big melts(with mild temps coming up from the south.) and the lake effect snow brought enough snow back into the area that were only unable to ski for maybe two days. Without the melts the snow would have been around 5-6 feet deep(This is just a guess as I was shovelling the drive almost every day when it was snowing and eventually ran out of room to pile the snow.)

This year we were on skis halfway through November. The snow came fast and was pretty wet,taking down lots of trees. At my club we spent about a week clearing trees and some places further north are still clearing the odd tree.

Come for a visit sometime,theres lots of cheap places to stay in the area. Some facilities even have places to stay right on the property.

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Postby kaNUK » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks for the um... photo essay! :D

Brought back many memories. I did tons of racing and training in the area when Hardwood was first opened (late 80's?). They had some of the best terrain, along with Horseshoe Valley and Medonte. Those are just a couple of "country blocks" to the North. The only complaint I had was that there were a few too many trails packed into the available acreage, resulting in the spaghetti-bowl effect.

The female lycra coefficient is very good up here (Thunder Bay) as well. The only problem is that it's been too cold , and everyone is skiing with about 15 warmup layers. :-(

Cheers
kaNUK
(Midland Secondary School, Class of '80-something)

zeek
xcskiforum 20K

Postby zeek » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Very exciting .I live in Victoria Harbour and regularly ski in Little Lake Park beside the hockey arena.I regularly go ski while my son or daughter have hockey practice.My sons' team played against another Midland team on the weekend.They won 5-4.This is meaningless except for the fact that the opposition had all goals scored by the same player. Son of Angela Shmitt Foster and her husband Don. Of course she is a former olympian in crosscountry skiing and both are owners and proprieters of Midlands' local Crosscountry and Downhill ski club.Her athletisism has certainly been passed down to her son. He also excels at crosscountry skiing and running and mountain biking.Believe it or not ,the only thing diferent about the Ski club probably since you lived here is the fact that the wood stove has been removed.Other than that, the doors the wooden stairs, the pummel lift the farm equipment scattered in the bushes etc etc. Merry Christmas to all .

Return to “Canada”