Road rage against rollerskiers

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Road rage against rollerskiers

Postby Neuro » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:10 pm

There is a known case where French biathlete Simon Fourcade was driven off the road on purpose while training in France and got hurt, but it's happened to veteran XC skier Anders Aukland and I'm sure others as well. Aukland actually had to take off his ski and use as a weapon as the driver came out to beat him up having missed him with the car.

In the news yesterday was the case of a skier outside Oslo here being hit twice by the same car, making it obvious he was out to maim the skier. Luckily he was caught so probably nothing more from him.

But on forums and elsewhere it's quite common to hear of this and I've experienced some of the antagonism myself when I had to do a public road when my normal path was not opened yet, although I found most generally quite considerate.

Somehow some people go nuts at the sight of rollerskiers on the road. Not only because they have to slow down, but for as long as I can remember, there have been articles in the news and elsewhere about those horrible 'speed skiers' using common ski tracks in winter, so my guess is that there's a kind of envy since the criticism is always unmerited and usually based on some inane bizarre stuff like that the fast skiers are 'drooling like dogs' and have 'fish eyes' popping out from the exertions, 'not enjoying the nature' etc.

And none more envious than older or unfit drivers is my guess.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Road rage against rollerskiers

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:40 am

Here is an example of a Swedish car driver that thinks roller skiers are idiots. He writes under the video: "One has to be very stupid in the head if one roller skis in the middle of summer in 26 degrees C."
Ha, ha, ha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrSnGFQrVo

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:06 am

to quote Simon

"I only had a few scratches"

after hitting him the driver threatened him with an Axe !

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:28 pm

It's never been a problem for me, but I have skied in a small group. some of whom insist on skiing along side each other, sometimes three wide!
Please ski single file and move over so as not to obstruct auto traffic.

We really don't need specific laws that prohibit our very odd pass time, and we sure don't need another fatality!

Return to “General Discussion”