Too old to start skating?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Justinvs
xcskiforum 10K

Too old to start skating?

Postby Justinvs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi all. This is my first post here, so I hope I'm not asking a dumb question. I've been classic skiing forever, or at least since my early twenties, but here I am in my fifties thinking hard about getting into skate skiing. (It always looks like so much fun when somebody else is doing it, right?) I have, like everybody else, played around skating on my classic skis, never very far obviously, but at least I know the basic motion. I usually ski at least an hour a day when we have snow, and run 2-4 miles the rest of the time, but I'm still wondering if 56 is just too old to start something as challenging as skating?

The good news is, I ski right out my back door and have access to enough machines and fields that I could really build some fun tracks!

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Too old to start skating?

Postby Pat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Well I'm soon to be 62 and just a few months ago started doing some roller ski skating. Like you, a lot of experience running and classic skiing. It is probably a lot better to adapt to skating on snow vice concrete and asphalt, but I've found to have no muscle/tendon type issues with picking up skating. As a matter of fact I'm amazed how light my legs feel when I'm done doing the skating -- different than how they feel doing classic. So I'm just a hack at it but I'd say go for it -- new tricks keep us happy and interesting (at least to ourselves.....)

Pat

Justinvs
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Justinvs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Cool!
Thanks for the reply. That's just the kind of advice I was looking for! There is a new ski area about an hour and half from where I live that supposedly has skate skis for rent, so as soon as I get a chance I'm going to break loose and give it a try.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 am

Yeah it will be fun, just be careful the shin muscles can get overloaded, even some World Cup racers have issues with this. It's the one that works to keep you on balance. Getting stiff boots (carbon) and tightening them properly will help.

Some techniques like V2 are quite tricky so don't be disappointed if you don't even get close to it.

Justinvs
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Justinvs » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks for the info!
Yeah, I'm just interested in it for the recreation, so I doubt I ever get very good at it. But damn, it looks like fun!

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Great fun with the extra speed, but a bit more tiring, especially uphill.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Justinvs wrote:...There is a new ski area about an hour and half from where I live that supposedly has skate skis for rent, so as soon as I get a chance I'm going to break loose and give it a try.

I'm always looking for new Montana cross country ski areas with groomed trails. What's the name of the new place near you?
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Justinvs
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Justinvs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:56 pm

.[/quote]
I'm always looking for new Montana cross country ski areas with groomed trails. What's the name of the new place near you?[/quote]

Sorry I missed seeing this. :oops: Homestake Lodge is the name of the area. It's about half an hour from Butte, going eastward on I90. I've been there in the summer - they rent the lodge for weddings - and the terrain looks really promising, but haven't had a free day to break loose and try their trails out yet. Here's their website: http://www.homestakelodge.com/

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm

The most helpful trick when I learned skating was to turn the head to face the ski going forward, maybe it can help you too. (It was actually what I overheard the national coach insisting Therese Johaug should not keep forgetting to do).

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Justinvs wrote:Sorry I missed seeing this. :oops: Homestake Lodge is the name of the area. It's about half an hour from Butte, going eastward on I90. I've been there in the summer - they rent the lodge for weddings - and the terrain looks really promising, but haven't had a free day to break loose and try their trails out yet. Here's their website: http://www.homestakelodge.com/

I've skied at Homestake a number of times. They groom well and have some pretty nice trails. The lodge is very nice. Let's hope for great snow this winter!
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Return to “General Discussion”