Winter season 18/19

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Winter season 18/19

Post by Neuro » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:47 pm

22C in February is crazy. :o

Was out today and rivers opening in the woods. Slushy tracks but still Ok.

The air is as good as gets though. Nothing like the first thaw smell of trees and still fresh snow.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:38 am

28C in some Pyrenees valleys yesterday. Much stickiness on snow.

Not looking good at the nearest X country center to work (1000 metes asl) today

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:58 am

Tracks were melting and it looked like the end of the season, but then it bucketed down and now it's full winter again with top tracks, so nice.

Tomorrow is the start of Holmenkollen World Cup race and before my run I stood by the track and could see all the stars practicing, real close up. Bolshunov, who is getting raves for his speed in classic, was a sight to see with (Russian style) long effortless strides up the hill, and the speed was incredible for practice. (will he win the 50km?) Sundby was taking it much easier. Other notable was to see just how small Johaug really is (but very pretty). 8)

Gorf
xcskiforum 10K

Post by Gorf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:22 am

Great season overall. Skid about 400 km total since December 5th. Rain and slush now but hoping for maybe a few more Lake miles if it refreezes.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Even more snow! 30-40 cm in a few days made today's outing one of the best of the whole season. Silky smooth as it was on a hard and prepped icy base.

Of course this is the last throes of winter as April is around the corner and forecast is for above freezing from now on, but what a nice surprise.

So in conclusion the winter here in Norway started late but also ended late. Average snow cover.

I'll have done ~200-250 km by now totalling ~300 before season end so a good one for me.

Gorf
xcskiforum 10K

Post by Gorf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Neuro wrote:Even more snow! 30-40 cm in a few days made today's outing one of the best of the whole season. Silky smooth as it was on a hard and prepped icy base.

Of course this is the last throes of winter as April is around the corner and forecast is for above freezing from now on, but what a nice surprise.

So in conclusion the winter here in Norway started late but also ended late. Average snow cover.

I'll have done ~200-250 km by now totalling ~300 before season end so a good one for me.

Wow that looks like paradise!

I was just getting back into a reasonable ski shape too, but the spring is early, calendar-wise. Seems winter rolls in a bit later as the years go by.

On to Nordic walking and maybe some Nordic blading till next season.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Almost had a massive crash today when I couldn't brake between the tracks as it was messed up from the slushy weekend outing and frozen solid in big bumps (from people walking with shoes etc), so just had to follow the icy tracks down the steep and twisty road and hope for the best. :?

The track wasn't prepped either so bumpy and wobbly, but thankfully there were no cuts. To make it even worse this was the left side track (as I knew the right tracks would end for plowing / braking zones further down) so could have met oncoming traffic, and also meant on the steeper parts people had gone herringbone and completely messed up the track so had to freestyle it over those parts and hope to catch it back later.

Really just a miracle i didn't tumble and sustain serious injury as the speed was insane and I was about to tip over several times which was going to be onto hard bumpy ice or off the side in the trees. I actually shouted to myself to not give up on the rollercoaster ride as panic was creeping in since this seemed to take forever. The hill is a 40 vertical meter drop in a short space and not really something you do without braking even when the tracks are prepped. When I finally stopped I was totally bonked from the shock and adrenaline rush and had nothing left for the rest of the trip.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 am

Sounds like a nightmare.

There is a descent like that at a local ski area called Barioz - very steep but maybe just 15 meters height drop, you just launch off and come to a halt on the other side but it is always hairy.

I'm improving my balance so have had less brown trouser moments on skis, just passing someone at speed earlier in the season when they moved right as I tried to overtake then move left when I changed direction, I ended up skiing around the banking but have no idea how I didn't crash, on my new skis too !

We've had some fresh snow in the Alps which has rebooted the season for the moment.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:21 am

So how was your season?

Think I had my last trip today. Track melted away in places at the end.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:22 pm

Neuro wrote:So how was your season?

Think I had my last trip today. Track melted away in places at the end.
Fat lady hasn't sung yet, but I have a cold.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Ok took it easy today but did a bit of crust skiing

https://youtu.be/P4gl33X1V0A

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Fri May 17, 2019 3:10 am

it aint over yet!

Belledonne range yesterday, a bit of crust skiing

https://youtu.be/QQNX7KBCQN8

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Mon May 20, 2019 8:37 am

Nice. Been ages since I skied off-piste on crust, looks fun.