Faster Skier forum cancelled...

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Faster Skier forum cancelled...

Post by JeffOYB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:16 pm

It's an interesting sport that has no real viable online forum. There's like 12 of us here.

Well, I guess Cyclocross doesn't either. Oh well.

Interesting that Bikeforums.net still works good. Why does a forum work in one area but not another? Seems a great concept and way to access the resources of wide range of expertise. But maybe that's just silly? Maybe there is no wide expertise?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Faster Skier forum cancelled...

Post by Neuro » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Same here in Norway and it's bizarre seeing as it's the national sport and everyone has a pair of skis and out en masse on good snow days.

No real XC forum but a thriving MTB one. I have no explanation for it.

rmattson
Forum Admin

Post by rmattson » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:27 pm

As far as I am aware, there was no XC Ski forum at all until Gregg started this one. I remember him saying it was going to be a huge hit yet, here we are. :D
Ryan

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Post by Pat » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:39 am

Well I don't know how I would have been able to garner the info on gear, training, advice if it hadn't been for this forum. Nothing even remotely close to a nordic ski shop close to me, and I certainly appreciate the help I have received in developing into a sport that I love and is really my mainstay of all the different disciplines that I like to do -- the roller skiing has really been a plus as has the C2 Skierg, of which without this forum info I would have no idea of.

Pat

Gorf
xcskiforum 20K

Post by Gorf » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm

I think this just might show that the overwhelming majority of Nordic skiers are far more interested in the important things in life, such as skiing, rather than the blabla of Internet forums.

:lol:

That being said, it is nice to be a part of an elite and exclusive forum (re. Nordic skiing and all that!)

Many thanks to all for everything, Cheers!

8)

jt10000
World Cup

Post by jt10000 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:43 am

As some have pointed out, rec.skiing.nordic was active for a while in the 1990s and 2000s.

It can still serve as a reference on old waxes and technique (if you know who to listen to). Hard to find/search unless you know what you're looking for though.

You may need to be logged in to use this interface to it
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/r ... ng.nordic/

There are probably other ways to access it.

We do have a regional forum for NY Hudson Valley Skiers (a little north of where I am) that is pretty active in the winter - mainly conditions reports and questions about conditions. Multiple posts a day in winter, though very few the rest of the year.

It was founded in in 2000 or 2001 by (I believe) the late Ken Roberts. It was on Yahoo Groups (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mhxcss/info) but moved last month (so very few posts so far) to Google Groups at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mhvxcs

EDIT: Just noticed a group on Reddit with moderate traffic. https://www.reddit.com/r/xcountryskiing/
Last edited by jt10000 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jt10000
World Cup

Post by jt10000 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:54 am

JeffOYB wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:16 pm
Interesting that Bikeforums.net still works good. Why does a forum work in one area but not another?
Good questions.

In my case, there are two reasons. Most important is that there just isn't much XC skiing near where I am any more. I can't do it much without big drives, so it's hard to keep the interest going.

Second, there is a low signal-to-noise ratio here. I contribute to the noise by calling out some nonsense rather than adding new info - so I take some blame for that. But I can't let BS pass, and it's not pleasant for me to react to it. Here's an example:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4875#p20454
leading to
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4875&start=45#p21259

So I avoid this site a lot since it bring out an unpleasant side of myself.

Plus the anti-Semitism from that guy Magnus turned me off. I don't want to interact with people like that. I feel icky.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:59 am

Gorf wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 pm
I think this just might show that the overwhelming majority of Nordic skiers are far more interested in the important things in life, such as skiing, rather than the blabla of Internet forums.

:lol:
Must be something there. I guess XC skiers are not the super extrovert types by nature, and would rather be alone in the woods etc.