Snow where you are?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Snow where you are?

Postby Burgesse » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:05 pm

While we don't have a lot of snow, we are skiing today! Early morning for now given temp rises to 37 F by afternoon. There's maybe 8" on the trail.

I used our new roller yesterday and it was fine, at least on the flats.... :lol:

E365
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Snow where you are?

Postby E365 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:55 pm

With the overnight cold weather returning to the Twin Cities this week I'm hoping to get on some man made snow within a week. Getting anxious! I also wish Hayward would get some snow.

Glacier Glide
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Glacier Glide » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Skied for an hour on Thanksgiving day at about 5,000'. Eight inches of packed snow full of deer, elk, moose and hunter tracks. Not bad for the first day of skiing. Snowed four inches that night. The trails were rolled Friday morning and the skiing was pretty good except for the 30+ mph winds that cleaned the trees of every leaf, needle and small branch that was destined to fall. Skied almost two hours. Saturday was clear no wind and trails were groomed. Excellent day skied almost three hours. Earliest start for me in quite a few years.

Jeff

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:13 pm

We've been getting a bit now'n'then here in lower SE Michigan.

We had one big 6" dump a couple weeks ago that we skied 4 days on. But it brought down lots of trees and sagged bushes -- icy, heavy dump over rain. It wasn't so hot but I got in a few good licks.

I've now skied the last couple days on ONE INCH! I've been sticking to places where I've previously walked thru and kicked aside all the sticks. Basically, a golf course will have half of the grass being dandy to get some good ski action on.

We use what we get! : )
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:53 am

Lower elevations in the Northern Rockies need more snow. Above 5,500 feet there is good snow from 1-3 feet though some fresh powder would be welcome. I've been skiing Forest Service roads on the Rocky Mountain Front but have to drive in to get higher where the snow is. There I share the road with Christmas tree hunters and snowmobiles. There is skiing at Izaak Walton Inn at 4,000 feet but they are only reporting about 13 k open with 4-8 inches of hard pack. I'll wait until there is more snow before driving the 2+ hours to get there or I get really desperate, like maybe in the next week or so ; )

On the other hand areas like West Yellowstone have good grooming and nice snow cover.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Burgesse » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:57 pm

We have had not a flake since I posted the photos on Nov 28 - off to a very slow snow start. :cry: Fortunately, that one meager snowfall is still serving us for skating, but it's getting thin. According to the regional DNR, we're the only State trail open.
SNOW :prayer: SNOW :prayer: SNOW

Daisy3
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Daisy3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:39 am

I actually saw on the weather channel last night that experts are now predicting a mild winter in most parts of the country. Something about el nino and a changing trend in cold fronts. I was actually hoping for a heavy winter as I have purchased my first season pass in a long time. I have also bought a lot of new gear like snowboard pants and jackets etc. Right now we have a little bit of snow on the ground but not great conditions.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 pm

We've had no-snow for the past week, but got a wet 2" yesterday here in mid-Michigan which froze last night. Now our golf courses are just dandy. Actually the first lap is unstable but doable. It's crusty but the surface crust is thin, if slightly sketchy. The 2nd time around is heavenly. No set-up time needed. Wax or nowax work equally great on the 2nd lap. (Nowax gets ZERO grip on a first lap.)

I did quite a bit of Striding Doublepole as it, well, was so natural to do, so instinctively stable.

Then I did some uphill repeats on two hills -- a moderate and a steep. I compared times at 70% effort for classic, kick-doublepole and striding-doublepole. They all gave similar results. Striding-doublepole might've been tending to come out on top. KDP was definitely the most work and I didn't even try to use it on the steepest section of the steeper uphill). Cat1 (V1 striding-doublepole variant) worked pretty good on the steepest parts. Fun!

Got a nice face tan too over a mere lunch hour ski. 25degF and sunny. We're good to go!
Jeff Potter

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:57 am

So, what are you all doing back there in MN and WI to stay sane (and fit?) Are the roads and paths clear enough to roller ski or bike ride? What about lakes? One year, the snow melted off of the trails but a nice crust remained on the lakes, making them actually very good for skating.

Good luck! Wish I could send some snow your way, although even our coverage up on the mountain is pretty sparse.

p.s. Never thought that I would EVER say this in my life, but....GO BADGERS!

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 am

It looks like the Lake Effect snow machine is in full stride right now.

It's kinda crazy, though.

Chicago doesn't look to be getting a thing.

But 30 miles east they might have a FOOT of fresh coming down right now.

Western Michigan is getting pounded -- but mid-Michigan is pretty dry, not skiable. The huge dump machine is dropping its load and dying out in a band along the coast of all the Great Lakes. It's a neat snow map.

So if I drove an hour west (to the in-laws, say) I'd find good snow.
Jeff Potter

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Light to moderate snow falling in Milwaukee right now. Just over an inch on the ground so far. Grassy areas probably skiable with wide touring skis if you stay in the high, dry areas since the top inch or more of the ground isn't frozen right now (It was 50F degrees here yesterday).

http://youtu.be/9vWePwwjvGg
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

tundra
xcskiforum 20K

Postby tundra » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:53 pm

sorry we're taking all the snow up here. It's been great, early skiing season this year (early Nov) ... not a record snowfall locally but a lot and it's covering up the damage caused by Chinook winds and warmer temp.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 am

Montana weather guys are talking about a pattern change next week and that there are a series of storms poised to bring many feet of snow to our mountains. I'll do my best to help push these storms into the Midwest after we are done with them.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:52 am

Sounds good to me. Thank you!
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:41 am

My hunch is we're all good now.

We got 2" last night here in Mid-Michigan. What's even better is that there's a decent layer of wet, crunchy icy stuff against the ground, binding itself and the next snow quite nicely, I'm hoping. It's certainly not "dry blow away" stuff. ...Though I've only been snowblowing today, no skiing yet. I'll get out for a whirl.

The forecast is good chance of snow basically every day for the next 7, as far as the forecast goes.

I'm hoping for another couple inches today. Fingers crossed!

The 7th Annual Potto Raid is Sunday (10am, details and breaking news at MMBA.org). It's a very rocky, rooty, technical course full of hazards. We've skied it before basically on slushy ice. People often bleed -- stuff breaks. So a couple more inches would be jim-dandy! I mean, it would be a comfy minimum. If we're stuck with what we got so far it'll be true Combat Skiing, which is fine by someathose kneepadders.
Jeff Potter

Return to “General Discussion”