Best secret cures for bad knee?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Cloxxki
World Cup

Re: Best secret cures for bad knee?

Postby Cloxxki » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:42 am

No experience, but I've read that some knee problems can go away from singlespeed mountainbiking, which is a combination of high-rpm spinning and low-rpm climbing. The toughest low-impact knee exercise that can be done for multiple hours?
Incorrectly set up cleats in the bike can do a lot of knee damage, needs to be mentioned. Be sure to have pedals with lots of free float.
My new blog : 46weeks.blogspot.com

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm personally a bit more concerned that I'm overly limited to single-plane motion activities. To me that doesn't seem like a path to durability. Biking and classic skiing both seem to work in one plane. My joints are happy with those activities. But they seem to have become feeble in any other plane or direction.

I'm just looking for ideas about best joint health in terms of both strength and stiffness/friction/lubrication.

I'm kinda thinking that diet/supplement might help in the stiffness dept and that a daily dose of wide-range exercises might help in strength and range-of-motion.

I guess I'll wander around in those fields awhile and see what I come up with. I suppose it's a lot of "your results may vary."

I'm also interested in new views on "arthritis." Yeah, aging hurts but it seems like there might be ways to deal. I don't want to make meds my foundation if I can help it.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:08 am

OK, this is kinda nuts, but I just started taking that Gluco/MSM/Chond stuff, along with Fish Oil and Garlic for good measure, and the NEXT DAY my stiff, achy knee felt tons better. What the heck? Well, I'm going to keep it up (along with calisthenics, etc.) and see if the good luck persists...
Jeff Potter

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:48 am

JeffOYB wrote:OK, this is kinda nuts, but I just started taking that Gluco/MSM/Chond stuff, along with Fish Oil and Garlic for good measure, and the NEXT DAY my stiff, achy knee felt tons better. What the heck? Well, I'm going to keep it up (along with calisthenics, etc.) and see if the good luck persists...

That's good stuff and (apart from the garlic) all in the article I linked to in August http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... roof_knees

But there is no way a dietary change like that can have an affect (other than placebo) that fast. No way. There is another reason you feel better.
Last edited by jt10000 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Whups, I'm also taking a cold med with acetaminophen. I thought that ibuprofen is what would help with inflammation but maybe the acetaminophen is just deadening some pain. Though I do feel noticeably less stiff. Didn't think a cold med could improve that but maybe it has.
Jeff Potter

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:49 am

PS: I'm fine in the mornings now, too, even though haven't taken a cold med since last night. Not sure I can attribute my new lack of creakiness to the aceto. But, who knows, maybe it's even a weather-issue. Or maybe it's skiing related: I haven't skied in a few days, but I've been shoveling a lot. I'll see what happens when I'm over this cold/flu and am back to skiing. I'll keep taking the joint supplements, anyway.
Jeff Potter

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

Postby hegel » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 am

I found acetamenophen (sp?) works better that Ibuprofen on arthritis. It really helps my arthritic left ankle when backpacking. And yes, my right knee. So perhaps some of your pain is arthritic.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:26 am

How many hours of relief do you find that a dose of Aceto gives?

I suppose my future plan will be multi-faceted: exercises, joint lube supplement ... and maybe some pain reliever, anti-inflam.
Jeff Potter

GBCallahan
xcskiforum 10K

Postby GBCallahan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:22 pm

:-P Hi,
Although I am new to the xc ski forum may I suggest you consider acupuncture treatment for promoting your knee recovery. Now in my 4th and final year of a masters program in Traditional Chinese Medicine I have provided clinic treatment to many athletes and resolved many pain conditions including arthritic joints and injured knees, ankles, upper limbs and cervical issues. It's worth looking into getting the acupuncture (and possibly an herb prescription) because the treatment can be very effective. There may be a community acupuncture clinic or a TCM college clinic in your area where you may obtain affordable treatment. I am sure there is licensed acupuncturist (L.Ac.) in your area who has the proper training to diagnose and treat your knee problem. Good luck and best wishes.

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

Postby hegel » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Jeff: you really need to be careful about overdosing on aceteminophrin. Google this topic. So I take the prescribed dosage of two every eight hours. When skiing or backpacking, I take two in the morning just before going out as a sort of prophylactic. Then I'll take two at night.

It's hard to say how long these last. I just know that when backpacking in particular I do much better using aceto.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:21 am

My secret:lose weight!

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:29 pm

I just saw a good article on knee health. The person stands at center of an 8 pointed star shape then reaches out with the other foot to touch the points of the star all around in a circle. (...Except for the point right next to the center foot on the wrong side!) You gradually reach out further and further, dropping lower on the center foot. I'd think this does good for strengthening all muscles the surround the knee. I don't know where I saw it. Maybe here! :) I'm gonna try it.

I'm guessing that running is what makes it flare up bad.

As Dale N. of Cat Skis says: If your hips and knees ache from running: Quit. You'll just wear em out pronto. If ya keep it up: replacement time. Do something else. (He suggests Cat Ski!) Running isn't for everyone. He might be right. Take the clue. ...Except I love a good run!

But it also seemed like overdoing a few goofy calisthenics didn't help either -- might've overloaded tendons.

I noticed a slight knee weakness feeling after 4 hrs classic skiing yesterday. Yikes!
Jeff Potter

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 pm

JeffOYB wrote:As Dale N. of Cat Skis says: If your hips and knees ache from running: Quit. You'll just wear em out pronto.

This is lame. If your knees or hips hurt from running, see if you can find out why and solve that problem. Just as one example, perhaps you have flat feet - which means your knees will be out of alignment and hurt - and some combo of orthotics and exercises can help.

Or perhaps you have low flexibility in your ankles or hips that you can solve with specific movements. Or any of a number of things.

If with concerted effort, including perhaps some consultation with an expert, you can't identify the cause of the problem and solve it, then yeah, quit. But advising quitting just because of pain without trying to get to the root of it? Lame.

And that knee health exercise you mention? Sounds good for perhaps many people and certainly can't hurt, but you have to find the cause of a problem before prescribing a solution. Or, if you really want, just go scattershot on solutions, which is what you seem to be doing. That may well work, but there isn't a single "secret cure" for bad knees without knowing the specific reason those knees are bad.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

Postby hegel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:36 pm

What JT says about knowing the cause(s) of your knee pain in order to construct a program to address the issue makes sense. The problem is, it's so hard to identify precisely what the issue is, even for doctors. So a scattershot approach is probably better than nothing.

I've been communicating with a physical therapist about my knee issues, which are much much better now--so strengthening exercises can help! And in my case, orthotics. Anyway, she insists on the importance of hip strength in addressing many knee issues. And so she's suggested a series of hip exercises. It's counter-intuitive because the strengthening is away from the knees. But anatomy is complicated and it makes sense once you realize how muscles, tendons, body balance etc. are interconnected.

Return to “General Discussion”