heart rate monitor

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

heart rate monitor

Postby hegel » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:30 pm

So last year I experienced a first ever episode of atrial fibrillation after skiing pretty hard for three days. Very scary, etc. Anyway, I don't have any known underlying heart issues--they call this 'lone atrial fibrillation'. Also, the doctors can't determine any definite causality.

Now I wear a heart rate monitor while skiing. I've worn one for years to the gym because I wanted to be sure that I was hitting and sustaining a high heart rate on the cardio machines. The first day that I skate skied with the monitor, I thought Holy Cra...Moly! My heart rate was over 150 on the first hill, and stayed pretty high throughout. Much higher than what I maintain on the elliptical at the gym, even though I hit the high end for my age (59) on those machines.

So for the moment I'm just skiing classic. I'm sort of wading back into things and waiting to see what happens. I tend to ski for 2.5 to 3 hours.

Oh and I come up from sea level to start skiing at 6500 feet, which doesn't sound like much but actually makes a difference.

I guess that I'm just throwing this out to see if other people have had this particular afib issue, or can weigh in on what's typical for them in terms of heart rate while skiing. Of course, this is all age appropriate, etc.

nxski
World Cup

Re: heart rate monitor

Postby nxski » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:34 pm

I haven't tested my heart rate in a while, but I had a low of 30 at rest and a high of 230 when skiing when I was 17.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Heart rates are fairly unique to the individual, so comparing may not be a god idea. I am not surprised that you have a higher heart rate skiing up a hill than on gym equipment.

Also keep in mind that heart rate straps do not always give 100% reliable results. With the plastic Garmin heart rate straps I seemed to get more inaccurate readings (drops and spikes) than accurate readings in the winter. The newer HRM3 strap works better for me.

Morrie
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Morrie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:33 am

I have a high max heart rate, 207. My resting heart rate is usually in the high 40's or low 50's when I check it in the morning.

When I skate ski my heart rate avg's in the 180's whether I ski for 1 hour or for 3 hours. I was concerned about this and had a stress test done when I was 41, I'm 43 now. The stess test came back ok and I got the ok from the cardiologist. While I was having the stress test done, I had wore my Garmin strap and compared the readings on my Forerunner 305 with what the tecs were seeing on the test equipment. They matched each other through the whole test.

I don't know how much time you spend at altitude, but 6,000 ft could cause an issue. I live at 800ft and when I go to Denver my HR is a few beats higher resting and working out. Some days I can feel it, others I can't.

Everyone is going to be different as others have mentioned and it's hard to do a comparison. I'd talk to your doctor and ask him for a stress test if you haven't had one already.

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

Postby hegel » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks everybody for your responses. Absolutely, it's better to get info from a doctor than on-line. On the other hand, since doctors are used to treating less active patients, it's sometimes difficult to get a response that seems appropriate if you're doing things like, well, nordic skiing. So I put this out just for comparison's sake.

Nxskis numbers from when he was 17 are just way off the charts for me.

My resting heart rate at home--sea level--is around 67. I don't know my maximum. At Tahoe--6500 ft.--my resting rate is around 75, and it goes higher faster than at sea level when I'm active. My blood oxygen level fall off too at 6500.

I appreciate that each individual's heart rate is different, and that comparisons can be tricky, or at least need to have a caveat.

It looks like my bpms's while skiing are entirely normal. I'm a recreational skier, so relatively low numbers would be expected.

Again, for a person my age, hitting 130 bpm for an hour is recommended for good heart health. While simply classic skiing, I easily hit into the 140's, although I'm taking things easy and pausing a bit to bring my heart rate down. So far this season, so good. I'd hate to give up skating. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has a similar history and good advice.

Morrie, I haven't had a stress test, although I think that's a good idea. My echocardiogram shows no underlying heart issues. sometimes Kaiser doesn't go the extra mile; I'll ask for a stress test. And yeah my gym monitor seems pretty darn accurate.

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 am

Being intervascularly dry can throw some people into dysrhythmias, so be sure that you're well hydrated, especially at at altitude (which I know nothing about since I live at 600ft ASL). One hot summer day a few years ago I found myself in afib for about 6 hours, the only time it's ever happened to me, and I know for a fact that some dialysis patients can go into afib (or worse) if too much fluid is taken off too quickly during a treatment (but they usually have multiple acute/chronic medical problems as well). Staying well hydrated is a good idea in general anyway, so I guess that's safe advise to give. :-)
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:08 pm

[quote="hegel"]
Nxskis numbers from when he was 17 are just way off the charts for me.

My resting heart rate at home--sea level--is around 67. I don't know my maximum. At Tahoe--6500 ft.--my resting rate is around 75, and it goes higher faster than at sea level when I'm active. My blood oxygen level fall off too at 6500.

I appreciate that each individual's heart rate is different, and that comparisons can be tricky, or at least need to have a caveat.
quote]

My point was to try to highlight how different people's heart rates can be.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

Postby hegel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:23 am

Biff: yeah, my first episode was after skiing three days in very cold weather--dry--and sleeping in a cabin with a gas flame stove. And drinking wine. My doctors called my episode idiopathic--meaning they didn't know the cause--but suggested that I might be dehydrated. They put me on iv fluids right away. I'll look up "intervascularly" dehydrated when I have time tomorrow. Thanks.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:49 am

hegel wrote:My doctors called my episode idiopathic

"Idiopathic" - isn't that a great word? Many years ago, I had something that was idiopathic, and I don't remember what the medical thing was, but I remember the word. It doesn't quite mean what you'd think it means. You'd think it would be what you'd call a dude who's severely anti-social and clueless.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:27 am

LewLasher wrote: a dude who's severely anti-social and clueless.

Anticipating possible complaints from the ladies here about gender-stereotyping: come on, you know it's got to be a dude!

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

Postby hegel » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:25 am

Lew, I don't think that women are going to complain about NOT being called idiopathic.

Return to “General Discussion”