Nordic skates and classic boots?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

greif
xcskiforum 10K

Nordic skates and classic boots?

Postby greif » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:43 am

All the early snow here in Rochester, NY has gone away for a while, and now we have mucho cold. I was out cleaning up branches from a trail (what I do when I can't ski!) and noticed some nice smooth sections of creek overflow, which reminded me to order some Nordic skates. They are on the way, but I realized I just classic ski and wonder if my classic boots will be useable. Anyone ever try?
gr

nxski
World Cup

Re: Nordic skates and classic boots?

Postby nxski » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:36 pm

They will be quite flexible and you risk twisting an ankle.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

greif
xcskiforum 10K

Postby greif » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 am

I will give it a careful try anyway. May have to get some skate boots somewhere.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Speed skates mostly have low ankle support and used to have zilch. My inline race skates have minimal ankle support.

I would have to train into stability, tho, but it came in a few days. So adding ankle support would save adaptation time but probably also reduces a quality ice feel.

I don't recall ankle RISK from low skates but I do recall that they'd get floppy and fatigue after 15 minutes the first day so you'd just have to quit for that day. The next day you could last another 15 minutes longer...

Nordic skates are LOWER than speed skates or inlines so they put less stress on ankles.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

2bski
xcskiforum 10K

Postby 2bski » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:12 pm

I use an old pair of combined skate/classic ski boots with the Nordic skate blades. Works OK, and boots are smaller to carry when I skate on the way to/from work. I'm just an occasional, casual skater, and find that the Nordic skating blades work much better than hockey skates on ponds and rivers. I bet if I raced, I'd use my stiffer skate ski boots? The combined skate/classic boots are OK for casual skating.

Return to “General Discussion”