First-time ski racing question

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Fpb
xcskiforum 10K

First-time ski racing question

Postby Fpb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:03 pm

I've been skiing for 6 years (classical) and think I would like to try a race sometime. When I ski with a local recreational club, I'm about the fastest person there, but when I look at ski race results, I don't know if I could even keep up with the last-place finisher. It is not a matter of fitness, because in a running race I'm typically in the top 5% overall. I've been on the lookout for an event geared towards first-timers, but none seem to exist (I'm in upstate NY). Any thoughts or suggestions?

makerr
xcskiforum 10K

Re: First-time ski racing question

Postby makerr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Don't worry about how you'll compare to the rest of the field. Think of a race as an opportunity to find your limits, improve your technique, get faster, ski more efficiently and eventually find that perfect day when you'll ski that perfect race. Take the plunge and enjoy the experience, it will only make you better!

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Fpb wrote:I've been skiing for 6 years (classical) and think I would like to try a race sometime. When I ski with a local recreational club, I'm about the fastest person there, but when I look at ski race results, I don't know if I could even keep up with the last-place finisher. It is not a matter of fitness, because in a running race I'm typically in the top 5% overall. I've been on the lookout for an event geared towards first-timers, but none seem to exist (I'm in upstate NY). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just do it. The worst thing that'll happen is you'll be last. You probably won't be, but even if you are, so what?

Unfortunately you just missed a classic race that's I've heard is really nice - the Winona Forest Tourathon.

For the rest of the season, the key event is the Lake Placid Loppet. That's damn hard in terms of very very big hills, but there will be "slow" skiers there - skiers viewing it was a tour. If you can handle big downhills OK you should try it.

Next season, just go to NYSSRA races - they're friendly events in general. Just do it.
Last edited by jt10000 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

Fpb
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Fpb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. The Winona Forest Tourathon results are actually what inspired my post. The Lake Placid Loppet seems pretty ambitious for a debut. An area winery is hosting a 5k on March 15, so maybe I'll try that, assuming there is still snow.

runcyclexcski_uk
xcskiforum 10K

Postby runcyclexcski_uk » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Just do it. I finished last on my first ski marathon, many lessons learned. And since you have been doing running races, you clearly have the motor part taken care of, should be where you belong among the top guys in no time.

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:16 am

Fpb wrote:Thanks for the encouragement. The Winona Forest Tourathon results are actually what inspired my post. The Lake Placid Loppet seems pretty ambitious for a debut. An area winery is hosting a 5k on March 15, so maybe I'll try that, assuming there is still snow.

Just saw there is an intro 4K classic race in Lake Placid at noon this coming Sunday. If you can get there try it. Given your running fitness, maybe you'll win!?!?! No pressure though :D

http://www.whiteface.com/activities/cro ... conditions
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

offpiste
xcskiforum 10K

Postby offpiste » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 pm

FPB - Where is the Winery Race?

Return to “General Discussion”