regenerative brakes on rollerskis

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

runcyclexcski_uk
xcskiforum 10K

regenerative brakes on rollerskis

Postby runcyclexcski_uk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:56 am

Has anyone tried using a small electric motor coupled to the front wheel, and a resistor array+heat sink as brakes for rollerskis, skates, or bicycles? All friction-based brakes generate too much heat, are heavy, and are cumbersome to activate. In contrast, with regenerative braking the small motor would be the only rollerski-attached part, while the heat sink and the controllers would be kept in a backpack (a 2 lb heat sink in a backpack is more manageable than a 2 lb brake on the rollerski). This way the energy would be siphoned from the ski into the backpack and dissipated there, with no damage to the wheels and hubs. The resistance could be controlled by a simple switch.

runcyclexcski_uk
xcskiforum 10K

Re: regenerative brakes on rollerskis

Postby runcyclexcski_uk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:05 pm

The problem, apparently, was solved by this company, scheduled to start selling their rollerskis this summer

http://www.rollersafe.no/

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 am

Wow. Don't know if I want to know the price...

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Raubie » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Yes, nice to see someone take another swing at rollerski brakes. Looks interesting. But aluminum-num-num-num shafts?

Hopefully there's an affordable/reliable braking system in development that could be used universally. Myself, I could use out-riggers. :D

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:14 pm

My first thought was how much is this going to weight? I'm just thinking of the added weight that comes with disc brakes on a mtb.

Return to “General Discussion”