Why do you think ski makers don't make YouTubes?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Why do you think ski makers don't make YouTubes?

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:12 pm

I wonder why ski makers and big shops don't make YouTube videos showing how fun the sport is. Showing how to ski.

I do see a few videos from shops showing the gear. That doesn't seem to be nearly enough to "serve" a sport. Much less to sell a sport or to help it grow.

I see the Rossi Coaching series in French... so there's that. For classic they show one guy skiing back'n'forth tho they do use pro vid techniques to make it look kinda lively and racey but no uphills or downhills. 800 views. ...Their Skate video only has 600 views! My homemade how to ski vid has 180,000 views! What's up? ...Oh, maybe it's because their Skate vid is about waxing?

From Fischer: nothing. Some bench reports from shops. Blah.

Madshus has their Academy series -- BORING!!!! Vids of boots and bench reports. C'mon! (XCZoneTV does a good fun video for their race line. On totally flat terrain.)

I'd think ski makers could get big bang for buck by funding fun vids of their sport.

And by fun I don't just mean racing. Racing is, what, 10% of the activity? I can see it being half the PR due to the easy wow factor but any company has to be careful of its presentation and make sure to keep accessibility front and center.

So why no typical PR? You know they're not dummies. They've had a very tricky market to preside over. It takes very skilled salesmen to take a ski market from 900,000 skis sold in 1980 to 75,000 last year. Losing 90% of your market has to be managed VERY CAREFULLY or you could lose your shirt.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Why do you think ski makers don't make YouTubes?

Postby osloskier » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 am

JeffOYB wrote:I wonder why ski makers and big shops don't make YouTube videos showing how fun the sport is. Showing how to ski.

I agree, ignoring all the free PR you can get from youtube etc is dumb. Have you tried to ask them directly?

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 am

Yes, I should try to track them down! I'd like to make vids for each of them! : )

If I can get 180k views with my corny homemade vids, I should be able to do better with pro values.

I don't think it's just the how-to angle that is desired, though it is. All of it could be covered in a non-lame, non-boring way, to present the sport (and the gear) in a demographically accessible way.

I'm pretty sure that my vids are popular because they seem both interesting and normal -- not outlandish. They show me using vintage gear and fairly normal "civil looking" attire. It stands out because today's sports media doesn't look "normal." It also probably is appealing because the general public DOES use casual gear and "regular" clothes.

I'd like to present ski gear in both an exciting light and an "everyday" light -- so that XC can once again become a common sport, or widely-known sport, anyway. Rather than an exotic, esoteric, fringe thing. XC is naturally fun and exciting apart from lycra and fluoro-wax.
Jeff Potter

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:47 am

Not sure what kind of videos you are looking for but I thought this did a good job of making the sport look "cool"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPFmGgJ5lxk

This is just a preview of the video that shows footage of various collegiate and elite racing in the US. We helped sponsor it. I was entertained.

One of the kiddos I used to coach helped make this video. These guys were in high school.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:57 pm

More than halfway there in all respects!

...Including sponsorship by semi-major players in the sport. (Boulder Nordic and Start are close to the level I'm talking about and could take the reins themselves.)

One of my points is why aren't pieces like this headlined by Rossi (or whatever) and posted by the Rossi name. They should have a major, leadership presence on YT. $10k could get 'em there.

I guess one could say that the makers like to keep a low profile and let others promote them. Maybe they provide support but let film-makers put out work in their own names but using their skis. That's great. But not enough. The ski-makers and every other player should have their own channel on YT and take the leads in TELLING THE XC STORY.

Just for totally random grins I typed in "Wenonah Canoe" into the YT search and BINGO -- a major channel by that company.

I'd think this is "must do" to be viable in outdoor biz today.
Jeff Potter

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:31 pm

I just remembered a video Karhu NA did last year for their product that was really good but then they ended up not bringing in any product...the owner of Karhu lives in the USA but there is no presence in the USA..

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Any way to see the video?

So Karhu NA means "Canada"?
Jeff Potter

Return to “General Discussion”