January Breckenridge Trip

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Morrie
xcskiforum 10K

January Breckenridge Trip

Postby Morrie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:17 pm

I'm planning a trip to Breckenridge, CO towards the end of January, 2015 and was wondering if anybody has skied the trails at the Nordic Center or at Gold Run? Any other trails in the Summit County area I should check out for skate skiing?

I'm hoping to do between 20-30K a day for 3 days for some Birkie training. Not sure how the altitude is going to affect me since I live in Minneapolis, but am going to give it a go.

kentek
xcskiforum 10K

Re: January Breckenridge Trip

Postby kentek » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:26 am

I used to ski Breck Nordic Center until they put so many houses on the property.
A better (by far) are is Frisco. It is about 11 miles north of Breckenridge. Great tracks. About 40 k in total i think. Some good hills, too.
If the snow is good the Daytons will give you the best corduroy tracks you can imagine.
Sadly, I am no longer in CO.

hegel
xcskiforum 30K

Re: January Breckenridge Trip

Postby hegel » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm not sure what the altitude is at Breckenridge. But as someone who lives at sea level and skis at Tahoe, starting at 6500 feet, I would just suggest that you remember that you're at altitude when you unaccountably feel sluggish, for example. The effect can be quite subtle; maybe you won't even notice it! You can't really fight altitude, however; just acknowledge it and give yourself a break. It actually takes a couple of weeks to fully acclimatize; I often feel better after a day at altitude, but it's hard to tell how much of this is psychological.

I read somewhere that basketball teams playing the second game of a back to back in Denver lose something like 96% of the time; by far the highest percentage in the NBA.

Return to “General Discussion”