I Can't Believe I Dislocated My Finger

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

equinox
xcskiforum 10K

I Can't Believe I Dislocated My Finger

Postby equinox » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:07 am

I was descending a difficult trail. It had been groomed without set tracks. I was intending to practice my snowplow but I was getting very little bite. The hill was longer than I remembered and I was picking up a lot of speed. I somehow ended up doing a face plant. As I was gathering myself I looked at my hand and thought, "I hope that's just the finger of my glove headed in that direction". It wasn't. I popped the finger back in immediately and it felt pretty good actually. This morning, it's pretty swollen and painful with just a slight discoloration. I took Ibuprofen 600mg. I have not iced or splinted it. I texted my doctor and he said he would look at it if the pain was really bad. I have a high threshold.He said an X-ray may or may not be necessary. He mentioned the possibility of a chip fracture, but I don't know if they can do any thing for that. Who knew Nordic could be so dangerous?

Montana
World Cup

Re: I Can't Believe I Dislocated My Finger

Postby Montana » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:47 am

That's a bummer. Next time you ski take a close look at the text that is printed on your trail pass. ;)
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:38 am

Ouch.

Was the trail icy or narrow? If not, I think there's something wrong with your snowplowing technique (hmm, that might be why you wanted to practice it...) You have to push the inner edges into the snow.

When it's icy or too narrow and snowplowing isn't effective enough you can use the poles to brake while snowplowing, like this:

But be careful and don't ever point the poles forwards. If they catch on something and you crash into the pole handle you can hurt yourself really badly.

equinox
xcskiforum 10K

Postby equinox » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:34 am

Montana wrote:That's a bummer. Next time you ski take a close look at the text that is printed on your trail pass. ;)

I am definitely NOT one who reads the fine print. I was being facetious ,of course ,about the danger part. Its dangerous to get out of bed in the morning, But, the payoff is so wonderful!

equinox
xcskiforum 10K

Postby equinox » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:41 am

osloskier wrote:Ouch.

Was the trail icy or narrow? If not, I think there's something wrong with your snowplowing technique (hmm, that might be why you wanted to practice it...) You have to push the inner edges into the snow.

When it's icy or too narrow and snowplowing isn't effective enough you can use the poles to brake while snowplowing, like this:

But be careful and don't ever point the poles forwards. If they catch on something and you crash into the pole handle you can hurt yourself really badly.

The trail was wide, but the base was hard packed. I was challenging my limits. I will try braking by dragging my poles. Having never tried it, does it really provide that much slowing power? I can't imagine that it does, but having never tried it, I wouldn't know for sure.

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:37 am

No, it doesn't. But when it's really icy it may be your best option :)

It's more useful for limiting the speed than for stopping. It can also be useful to reduce wear on the grip wax in abrasive conditions. You need to put some weight on the poles to force the tip into the ice/snow. It will look somewhat inelegant and rattle a lot, but it does work to a certain extent when snowplowing doesn't.
Last edited by osloskier on Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

equinox
xcskiforum 10K

Postby equinox » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 am

osloskier wrote:No, it doesn't. But when it's really icy it may be your best option :)

It's more useful for limiting the speed than for stopping. It can also be useful to reduce wear on the grip wax in abrasive conditions.

Thank you SO MUCH for your attention. Are hand injuries common in Nordic Skiing? I never gave it any thought until this happened. I usually fall in soft snow at relatively soft snow that results in a bruised ego. I must have been going pretty fast to dislocate my finger. I'm generally good at falling, usually on my side.

osloskier
xcskiforum 40K

Postby osloskier » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:07 am

I edited my previous post to add a description of how to do it.

You can combine this with snowplowing for greater effect, of course.

If someone should ever point out that you look like an idiot while braking with your poles, remember that the lady in the picture is a world champion skier who publicly admits to using this technique from time to time. And then you get the last laugh when you have grip wax left when all the others have had theirs scraped away by the crust :)

I don't know how common hand injuries are, I usually end up either on my side or my rear :D

There's a narrow and fairly steep ungroomed trail near my home that I use to get to one of the groomed trails. I usually brake with my poles there. Snowplowing has little effect because it's so narrow, and there's also a risk of hitting protruding rocks. When I brake with the poles I can steer around rocks that would have damaged the skis if I were snowplowing.
Last edited by osloskier on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:20 am

equinox wrote:
Montana wrote:That's a bummer. Next time you ski take a close look at the text that is printed on your trail pass. ;)

I am definitely NOT one who reads the fine print. I was being facetious ,of course ,about the danger part. Its dangerous to get out of bed in the morning, But, the payoff is so wonderful!

You did see the wink, right? Stuff can happen. Hopefully there are no broken bones and it will heal enough to let you ski. Maybe it already has?

equinox
xcskiforum 10K

Postby equinox » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Montana wrote:
equinox wrote:

You did see the wink, right? Stuff can happen. Hopefully there are no broken bones and it will heal enough to let you ski. Maybe it already has?

I've been aggressively self treating it. Splinting, ice, ibuprofen. Watching the World Alpine Ski Championships. One girl crashed and messed up her arm and thumb in training. It took them ten minutes to dress her for the race and they taped the pole to her hand. That's what I'm going to do. LOL.
I actually did an indoor training ride on my bike and, believe it or not, the circulation and endorphins made my hand feel better.

equinox
xcskiforum 10K

Postby equinox » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:57 pm

I skied a few miles today. I was the first one out after the groomer. It was warm and snowing, and conditions were slow. I reviewed the read out from my last outing, and found out I was going 20 mph when I crashed. That's respectable for me. :-P

equinox
xcskiforum 10K

Postby equinox » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:41 pm

My finger was doing a little better, but one morning , the swelling got worse. I went to the doctor and had an x-ray and there is a 5mm fracture in the middle phalanx. No treatment other than protection (splint) until the pain subsides. I was wondering, are finger injuries common in skiing. I'm guessing they are more common in Alpine.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 am

I don't think finger injuries are too common in Noridc skiing. Definitely more common in Alpine. Falling with a pole in your hand is usually what causes finger and/or thumb dislocations or fractures.

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Ouch! Sorry to hear of it. Nothing as bad as that, but I crashed and sprained a thumb last year. The full-hand glove-style ski loop had gotten twisted under the pole, and my weight came down on the pole; the pole seemed to act like a lever (OK, well, it is a lever). It definitely forced my hand in a way that a traditional wrist loop wouldn't. For about 6 months, that thumb had one spot on it which would hurt it if bumped anything; even tiny stuff like the steering wheel while driving.

I switched to old-style loops for everyday skiing.

Return to “General Discussion”