Supplements and Sports Drinks?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Supplements and Sports Drinks?

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:39 pm

I used to use supplements and sports drinks. I read up on the info and had one kind of drink before workouts or races, another during, and another afterward. I'd eat certain foods.

Heck, I'd even do stretching.

...And back then I remember thinking "Holy smokes, this stuff is awesome!" It got so that I felt that I needed it. It seemed directly related to building up to the various seasons and doing well in them.

I haven't done any of that in decades.

I feel fine.

But I am older and have a ton less muscle, power, etc.

I still go hard a few times a week year round. I haven't felt stiff or tired or like I didn't have gumption. I feel like I have a ton of energy for every season. If I build up for a few weeks I feel like I can do a lot more and have fun at the pointy of fast rides and such. I don't bonk anymore. ...If I'm going out for hours in the cold I bring deluxe pizza slices and never miss a beat.

If I do go out hard for hours I will bring a couple Gatorade quarts. I'm thinking anything with electrolytes or some salt in it will be all I need.

Hmmm, I guess I did notice not being quite as strong in road bike riding last summer. But then I rode half as much!

I try to keep doing weights and calisthenics, too. Those feel good and helpful.

I eat good food made from scratch.

I just have totally dropped the powders. I wonder if that stuff can really help.

I had a top bike racer friend say yesterday that he follows his power meter data and can notice when he isn't eating right. I thought he was going to say he'd notice when he hadn't been doing enough power-work... It kinda made me wonder if messing around with food and supplements could have an effect. Back in the day I thought they did. Tho I can't imagine going that hard at it anymore. But actually I still go pretty close to that hard. I just don't enter as many events.

Hmmmm....
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “General Discussion”