Triceps Injury

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

skiffrace
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Triceps Injury

Postby skiffrace » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:48 am

I stumbled upon a good cross-country skiing study.
Double poling is elaborated upon, and there is even an informative section about the role of the triceps:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

see
Results from some applied case studies => 5.4 The role of triceps in double-poling

Michael_A
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Michael_A » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:03 pm

Interesting Youtube explaining why it might not be beneficial to slam the poles down at the beginning of a double pole .... most of the propulsive force comes in the middle of the push; not the beginning.

https://youtu.be/kOjEJ4Kjrrs

dcpattie
xcskiforum 20K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:40 am

skiffrace wrote:I stumbled upon a good cross-country skiing study.
Double poling is elaborated upon, and there is even an informative section about the role of the triceps:

see
Results from some applied case studies => 5.4 The role of triceps in double-poling

Thanks for posting this; however, I can't open the file - what is the name of the study?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

skiffrace
xcskiforum 30K

Postby skiffrace » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:04 am

Looks like you have a browser settings issue - try this link for direct download:

If it still does not work, google "Musculoskeletal Biomechanics in Cross-country Skiing"

dcpattie
xcskiforum 20K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks - the publication states that "wide elbow" is better. I'll give it a try.
Last edited by dcpattie on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

dcpattie
xcskiforum 20K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Michael_A wrote:Interesting Youtube explaining why it might not be beneficial to slam the poles down at the beginning of a double pole .... most of the propulsive force comes in the middle of the push; not the beginning.

https://youtu.be/kOjEJ4Kjrrs

Loved the video - now I need to do it in practice.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

dcpattie
xcskiforum 20K

Postby dcpattie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:32 pm

I was able to DP for 30K today. My triceps injury was starting to flair up towards the end but I was able to finish without any issues. I do think the StaffanSTAVEN shock adsorption handles are helping. I'm also using Jenex's V2 suspension ferrules. This set-up seems to have lots of damping (good for an injured tricep). The V2 tips compress very easily so they only take a the initial sting out of DPing. The StaffanSTAVEN handles (I'm using the elite springs) are stiffer but compress under heavy load.

I also focused on not hammering the poles down and using a wider elbow track. One more factor that may be helping is that I'm using 2-3cm shorter poles.

Overall a good DP session.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Michael_A
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Michael_A » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:27 am

Dave,

I am not a medical person but it sounds like you are describing a tendon issue; not a muscle issue. I did some online research on elbows and the best article I could come up with is here:

http://drjuliansaunders.com/ask-dr-j-is ... revisited/

Lots of helpful stuff.

M

dcpattie
xcskiforum 20K

Postby dcpattie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:54 am

Thanks for the article. I agree that its a tendon issue; however, the source for the pain is a more difficult question without seeing a doctor [i.e., is it related to muscles above the elbow (mainly the triceps) or muscles below the elbow as described in this article]. It won't hurt to try the exercises described in the article. I've seen them performed by my boss. He is an ice climber and performs the "frying pan" exercises (with a large mallet) in his office.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

dcpattie
xcskiforum 20K

Postby dcpattie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:50 am

Michael_A wrote:Dave,

I am not a medical person but it sounds like you are describing a tendon issue; not a muscle issue. I did some online research on elbows and the best article I could come up with is here:

http://drjuliansaunders.com/ask-dr-j-is ... revisited/

Lots of helpful stuff.

M

Still have the triceps issue. I think I need to stop calling it a triceps injury as this article (thanks Michael) pretty much nailed my injury. I saw my brother-in-law over the holidays (he is an orthopedic surgeon). He looked at my injury and the cyst located on my elbow and concluded that its a forearm injury - similar to golfers elbow.

I tend to grip the poles throughout the poling action - perhaps I need to focus on releasing the poles during the recovery phase??
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Michael_A
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Michael_A » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Dave, sorry to hear your injury is still there. Maybe get into some skating too (not just classic) so you can go no poles now and then? I am no expert but if you have good handles and straps, you should never have to grip the handles too much as the force is being transmitted through the straps, not your hands, yes? The ski erg is a little off in that sense as you do have to grip the handles more. Have you done any work to strengthen the triceps tendons? Keep us posted!

dcpattie
xcskiforum 20K

Postby dcpattie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:55 am

Michael_A wrote:Dave, sorry to hear your injury is still there. Maybe get into some skating too (not just classic) so you can go no poles now and then? I am no expert but if you have good handles and straps, you should never have to grip the handles too much as the force is being transmitted through the straps, not your hands, yes? The ski erg is a little off in that sense as you do have to grip the handles more. Have you done any work to strengthen the triceps tendons? Keep us posted!

I use a Leki setup where the gloves connect directly into the handles. I found this setup helps with the occasional stuck pole into the asphalt. I'm thinking of removing of C2 skierg handles for some XC specific ones; however, the Leki handles will not work (unfortunately).
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Neuro » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Like Michael suggests; have you tried skating? Is it the same there? With a relatively flat course you could go one skate /gear 3 / V2 skating (or whatever is the right term) for most of it, basically halving the arm workout and as a bonus having great speed. The legs will anyway do most of the push here.

And if there are steeps, going V1 /offset you could alternate between leading arms pushing and pulling as well.

About poles, there are larger grips to try. Maybe it will help loosen your grip somewhat.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 20K

Postby dcpattie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:05 am

About poles, there are larger grips to try. Maybe it will help loosen your grip somewhat.

Good thought. I switched all my poles to the Leki system because I liked the glove-to-handle click system. However, these grips are completely straight and do not have the ergonomic "bend" found on most XC pole grips. I wonder if Leki's grip "straightness" is somehow playing a factor in my golfer's elbow (Medial epicondylitis) injury? Come to think of it - the Concept 2 Skierg also has straight handles.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Return to “General Discussion”