GPX Track Editor app - make your own trail maps

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

LewLasher
World Cup

GPX Track Editor app - make your own trail maps

Postby LewLasher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:46 pm

I have written a track editor that runs on Android tablets. It is now available on the Google Play app store; just search for "GPX Track Editor".

I hope this is OK under the forum guidelines. It is a free app, so I am not trying to sell something. The app is useful for all sorts of map-making, but the reason I wrote it was specifically to help me map cross-country ski trails. Nonetheless, if the moderators decide, I will happily move this topic to the Way Off Topic forum.

For about 15 years, I have been making my own trail maps by skiing or hiking with a handheld GPS receiver, and then processing the resulting record ("tracklog," we GPS nerds call it) of my travels. There's a number of popular track editors available for the Windows platform (so there must be people who do this for reasons other than making XC trail maps), but I couldn't find any for Android. So I wrote one.

I'm tentatively planning to go on a ski trip to Colorado this coming winter, and I didn't feel like bringing a laptop with me.

Back to the app: there are some particular features that are helpful in mapping a trail network. In particular, the app helps you create tracks that include junction points (so that the set of tracks "reflects the network topology"). And so, for example, there is a tool that eliminates superfluous track points, but there is an option to protect junction points from being eliminated out of existence.

The screenshots in the app's documentation (yes, there is documentation) and in the app store show the track networks at Craftsbury and the Trapp Family Lodge.

Lew
Last edited by LewLasher on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LewLasher
World Cup

Make maps and navigate, in same app

Postby LewLasher » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:16 am

I added more features to the app. Version 2 handles the full life cycle for trail maps:

• Collect data by recording your location from GPS while skiing or hiking
  • Clean up data, divide the data into different trails, assign names and colors
  • Use the trail map to see where you are in relation to the trail system
This is easier than loading your tracks into the Google Map app. Also, the Google Map app crashes if you don't have a cellular data plan. And I don't think it displays the trail names (I didn't get very far with it, because it kept crashing, because I don't have a cellular data plan.) In GPX Track Editor, you tap on the trail and it displays the trail name. For the base map, you have the choice of the Google road map, satellite map, terrain map, or no base map.

Reminder: this is a free app. Only on Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lewlasher.trackEditor

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Re: GPX Track Editor app - make your own trail maps

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 am

That's clever stuff. Image Unfortunately I have no Android devices to check it out on. (Windows only)

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: GPX Track Editor app - make your own trail maps

Postby MN Hoser » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 pm

Cool stuff Lew. Wish I could use it.

Jay

Return to “General Discussion”