skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Ski season underway in Sweden :-)

Postby skiffrace » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Ski season underway in Sweden :-)

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:05 am

Yes, I have never before experienced an earlier start of winter here in Mälardalen (the area around lake Mälaren), but the forecast says the winter will get a real blow next week with +8 Celsius and rain. The snow might be totally gone by the end of next week.
Last edited by Magnus Johansson on Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:20 am

Enjoy it while you have it. We've been having record warmth (18-20 C) and I'm still wearing sandals to work. We've haven't had the heat in the house on much (off right now). It hasn't gotten below 0C this year, so it's our longest growing season on record.

Jay

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:34 am

MN Hoser wrote:Enjoy it while you have it. We've been having record warmth (18-20 C) and I'm still wearing sandals to work. We've haven't had the heat in the house on much (off right now). It hasn't gotten below 0C this year, so it's our longest growing season on record.

Jay

Thanks, Jay, but we also need the water it holds; we have had very little rain this autumn so there is shortage of water in lakes and in the ground, and winter from 1 November here isn't normal. Very little is normal nowadays, be it in Minnesota or Sweden.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:10 pm

winter from 1 November here isn't normal

So, what is normal, ie. when in a typical year you start skiing on snow, and when do you stop?
Also, what are the long-term predictions for this winter in ~Baltic region?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:06 am

skiffrace wrote:
winter from 1 November here isn't normal

So, what is normal, ie. when in a typical year you start skiing on snow, and when do you stop?
Also, what are the long-term predictions for this winter in ~Baltic region?

Traditionally, winter here starts around 21 November and ends around 25 March, but now one can expect almost anything. Seven years ago we had a very long and snowy winter from around 9 November to around 8 April. Three years ago the winter was only three weeks long (in January), shorter than a normal winter on the south coast of the county Skåne (Scania). Winters tend to start later and end earlier, but it is the fluctuations from winter to winter and also within one winter that is the most characteristic feature. Some 15 years ago we had a wonderful winter with lots of snow in December and then in January it was all gone.

I have not seen any long-term prediction. They are very hard to make.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:37 am

Now it is +5 C and after thaw and rain the snow is all gone.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:51 am

We had a strong storm come through the last two days. Up north (3.5 hr drive), they got 25-30 cm at Giants Ridge (ski area). We got just enough (rain follow by a coating) to screw up rollerskiing, but the temps (and wind) are a bit too cold for rollerskiing anyway. (Finally got below 0C). I think Duluth (2 hrs north) probably got enough to roll, but I haven't heard. Skiers from there will probably drive northwest, at least a few miles. Also the snow machine for the UP of Michigan will be in effect, so I expect they'll post some good numbers this weekend. Thanksgivings is looking pretty good with another small storm on the way.

Off to do some bounding.

Jay

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks, Jay, for that report from Minnesota. However, I am a little uncertain what you meant with "got enough to roll".

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:56 pm

Sorry, it's a grooming term. I'm guessin,g based on the track of the storm, that a popular ski area in Duluth (http://www.skiduluth.com/) probably got 5-10 cm of snow. Usually in the beginning of the year or after significant snow, they will run a snowmachine with a metal roller behind it, and I called 5-10 cm enough snow to roll. The ground is not frozen, but the temps are below freezing in Duluth. So 5 cm is probably not worth the effort to do anything except let people ski. More than that and I think they will try to compact it and hope that they get some more snow with the next wave of moisture Tue and Wed.

Jay

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:01 am

Now it is +5 C and after thaw and rain the snow is all gone.

I was flying through Stockholm yesterday and saw it from the air - all brown/green, with only some occasional patches of white left in the woods.

Return to “General Discussion”