Those in-between months..

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

skiffrace
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Those in-between months..

Postby skiffrace » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:29 am

But this in-between stretch has been extremely long. Still no snow after the first snowfall when was put gravel on all sidewalks and paths so no rollerskiing.

There's a 2 km loop with artificial snow I can go to, but it means 30 minutes metro + 10 minutes walk each way and that's not so tempting when the track itself is just up and down with lots of traffic.

Hoping for proper snow first week of January.

No snow in Oslo for Christmas!!
Stockholm, Sweden warmer than Varna, Bulgaria!
What's next? Open-water swimming marathon in lake Malaren in January?
What is wrong with the world (climate?) today?
Attachments
varna.jpg
varna.jpg (236.2 KiB) Viewed 331 times
stockholm.jpg
stockholm.jpg (240.14 KiB) Viewed 331 times

skiffrace
xcskiforum 30K

Postby skiffrace » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:32 am

Look for example at a couple of top skier's level of muscle mass:

Marit Bjorgen is in the first or second picture?

Neuro
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Lol. She's sweet though. A very nice person.

skiffrace wrote:No snow in Oslo for Christmas!!
Stockholm, Sweden warmer than Varna, Bulgaria!
What's next? Open-water swimming marathon in lake Malaren in January?
What is wrong with the world (climate?) today?

Yeah it's crazy. White Christmas will soon become a rarity here if this continues. The worst part for me is that there's usually a spell of snow in October or November (for whatever reason) which means gravel all over the place and end of rollerskiing.. :-(

By the way, I did try ice speed skating again, but will have to pass as it was just not comfortable for my bad knees to be bent too deep for so long like that.

You still able to rollerski there in Poland or similar gravel issues?

skiffrace
xcskiforum 30K

Postby skiffrace » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:36 am

You still able to rollerski there in Poland or similar gravel issues?

I can't, but not because of gravel. I don't have a car where I currently stay, and the places where one can rollerski (well) is far away - long ride on 2 different buses. So, for now, I don't bother, and do other things instead.

Neuro
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Neuro » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:07 pm

This is about the longest spell of ski downtime I can remember, really boring. :-(

Newpapers are reporting record sales of skates, so lot's of people looking for alternatives. Like I said, speed skating is not for my knees, but a new thing I'm just discovering is skating with poles on lakes etc. 'Skate touring'

What's nice is that one can use normal ski boots and poles:

Of course this can be pretty risky business and every year some are lost beneath the ice, but maybe join a group and go together.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 30K

Postby skiffrace » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:53 pm

neuro wrote:Of course this can be pretty risky business and every year some are lost beneath the ice, but maybe join a group and go together.

Interesting. If for safety reasons you go with the group, it will help only if the group is prepared (ex. each member carries rope)
A crazy idea - if you skate on ice that can break, how about wearing a life vest? Modern life vests such as those used by kayakers are very lightweight and can fit very well. They impede the sweat transfer a bit, however, in cold winter air you don't sweat much to begin with.

Speaking of double poling on skates.... has anybody tried double poling on a skateboard? It should work similarly, and be much safer than double poling on rolerskis. If you tumble, you could simply jump off the skateboard.

Neuro
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Neuro » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:14 am

It would seem wise to use life vest like you say, but haven't seen others wear them (in pictures). Maybe it's bad in that it pushes you up under the ice?

I think the main kit to have are two spikes (connected with a rope to have around your neck) which you use to pull yourself out with. Then kick like crazy with the legs to get horizontal and pull out.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:40 pm

i recall lifevest in some pics. i wear one sometimes.

poles can function as the safety spikes

each waterway can have unique aspects that create variations in thickness -- flow, springs, rotting vegetation. but 4" of fresh ice is considered reliable. use an ice-spud to test or look for bubbles under clear ice.

after awhile of cold, vehicles can go on ice so we're good
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Neuro » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:48 pm

Least amount of snow for 60 years in Norway, and a measuring station in the woods outside Oslo here show only 5 winters in the last 141 years have had no snow there.

Not too unhappy as I've done my back in and wouldn't be able to ski much anyway, but miss the snow of course. Ah well, what can you do these days except hope that the gulf stream shuts down? ;)

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:13 pm

I feel bad for you guys. Sorry!!! That's a bad thing to happen. Well, if it's cold there's always ICE SKATING. Which is awesome. But if it's neither cold nor snowy then there's biking. I need to give that fatbike stuff more of a fair shake. Nobody skis around here but dozens go out in herds on their fatties in the marginal winter conditions.

(We finally have about 4" here and I hosted a yard bbgun biathlon tonite! 4 of us had a lil good time. Bonfire, beer, bbguns, boombox. Sigh...)
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “General Discussion”