Those in-between months..

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Those in-between months..

Postby Neuro » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 am

..in spring and autumn when not enough snow to ski on, and roads and paths not fit to rollerski with wet leaves, gravel or ice etc. :-(

A bit boring, but I guess good time to do maintenance or prepare for the coming season..

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Those in-between months..

Postby blckdmnd » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:05 am

I feel ya on that. I went for a singletrack trail run for an hour yesterday (in blaze orange due to deer hunting) but could use the rollerski right now for sure. I have a fatbike i can use for these in between periods as well which helps. Pondering heading up to ABR in the UP for some good ski conditions. An hour and a half drive is well worth it at this point.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:20 pm

blckdmnd wrote:I went for a singletrack trail run for an hour yesterday (in blaze orange due to deer hunting)

That sounds more dangerous than wet leaves on the rollerski run.. :D

Also tempted to drive to get to top groomed ski tracks, will be ~1-5h here too..

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:15 pm

In the late summer, I try to get my running legs. Inevitably a time comes in November where the roads have ice, there's no snow, so about all that's left is trail running, bounding with poles, or mt biking with studded tires. We got a taste of that last weekend. Sat, I did 90 min of running/bounding with poles. I actually enjoy that workout. The roads were clear enough on Sunday that rollerskiing was no problem (for 3 hrs). Last week we hit frost on the Sunday rollerski and it was much warmer, so I'm glad the roads were safe this weekend.

I've done some mt biking (on road and off) when the weather gets nasty, but it's much less comfortable and requires a lot of bike and clothes cleanup afterwards.

Jay

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:14 pm

I'll chime in with my usual big huge wonderful bad-season saviors beyond compare:

*Cyclocross -- the "bad season" is its reason for existence -- it is DIALED IN on delivery fun-joy when it's TERRIBLE out. It's a chance to use your bike like it was skis. Slip-slidey skills are the name of the game as is fun as is the paincave. None of this wheelsucker jive or straightahead highway style doublepole timetrial hammerfest stuff. (Those are great in their time and place but some things are more fun.) Watch the weekly YouTubes of the action-packed Euro races and duels between the heroes. Listen to the fun/pro/friendly CXhairs.com podcasts of news and drama. XC could learn about a million things from CX. ...I've totally messed up my trail-work habit during the bad season because cross has taken its place. I've totally messed up my upperbody action, too, but I don't care, and I do still get some of that in.

*Cat Skis! -- the offroad rollerskis without rollers sort of. Train striding-classic like nobody's business in all the bad weather. No crashes. You can also train V1/V1A. They love leaves, slush, turf. Who needs doublepoling anyway.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:49 pm

My pants from a ride two years ago (in slush).

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:58 am

Sure that's just slush MN Hoser? That normally washes out.. :D

Never heard of Cyclocross or Cat Skis before, but living in the city center would mean driving the car to reach terrain and then I might as well look for XC snow.

As there's an ice rink close by I went to try speed skating yesterday. I used to love it as a youngster. It was sort of fun but the rented shoes got painful early on, and I have completely forgotten how to do cornering so it was a bit Bambi on ice. Will have to try more to see if that could become a training alternative. Only worry is that I could pick up bad XC habits with the push-off since I think it's more behind when ski skate should be more on the side, isn't it.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Neuro wrote:Sure that's just slush MN Hoser? That normally washes out.. :D

Never heard of Cyclocross or Cat Skis before, but living in the city center would mean driving the car to reach terrain and then I might as well look for XC snow.

As there's an ice rink close by I went to try speed skating yesterday. I used to love it as a youngster. It was sort of fun but the rented shoes got painful early on, and I have completely forgotten how to do cornering so it was a bit Bambi on ice. Will have to try more to see if that could become a training alternative. Only worry is that I could pick up bad XC habits with the push-off since I think it's more behind when ski skate should be more on the side, isn't it.

CX is done in many urban areas. All you need is a park. Ask around at bikeshops. There might be a scene happening that you could check out. It doesn't require terrain per se, just a park or vacant lot and normal landscape features.

Cat skis also work great anywhere -- trails and turf esp but any park will work.

As for ice skating: it's very technical, or at least takes as long as anything else to learn. I found it took me 2 wks of daily short sessions to find my skate stability and stable ankles. Proper skate tech means pushing to the side as far as I know. Look for speed skates! With those you push forward w your heel. Good training. If a rink limits speeding it will often have a time where it's ok or where only a few adults are skating and you'll be ok w higher pace. We sometimes skate on a lake w poles when we don't have snow. Nordic skates are fun for wild ice, rough ice, snowy ice, and are hopefully ok at most rinks. Very easy to use w XC ski gear.
Jeff Potter

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:43 pm

Nordic skates is another discovery for me. Using normal XC ski boots, binding and poles is brilliant. This I will definitely check out. Should give nice nature moments too, but then there's the driving and I suspect the days when lakes are frozen and skateable are limited. One would also likely need to go with others due to the risk factor as well.

The rink nearby is dedicated for speed skating (middle part open for general skating but only accessed by an overpass bridge so no interference. Agree speed skating is tricky, but lucky to have done a lot as a youngster so the basics is there. Just the cornering needs re-learning. Very tempted to get a pair of clap skates and get into it. This down period is just too long..

Michael_A
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Michael_A » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:44 am

Still in between roller ski and regular ski season here ... what do you all think is the best gym workout to keep fit for skate skiing? I am fortunate to have a ski erg (for upper body) and combined with a Stairmaster at the local gym seems like I have all the bases covered. Any other ideas?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:26 pm

I keep hearing the WC skiers say how upper body strength is the big difference to the older way of doing things where muscle mass was not wanted, so suggest to try some old fashioned strength exercises. I have had quite good results myself this summer rollerskiing. I feel it's easier to keep good technique when the arm and ab power is there.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:38 am

Boat paddling of any kind can be good. River water often becomes crystal clear in autumn / early winter. Warmer than air temp. The exercise fits w suggestion to upper body fitness.

Dips and pull-ups good to incl in gym workouts, right? I recall someone saying that pull-ups are best indicator of doublepoling fitness. ?
Jeff Potter

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:04 am

Boat paddling of any kind can be good. River water often becomes crystal clear in autumn / early winter. The exercise fits w suggestion to upper body fitness.

Yes. Water sports are at least as good as skiing on the snow - when it comes to outdoor sports, nothing beats those 2 (though I am biased).
However...
Warmer than air temp.

If the air is 5 degrees above freezing, you can strip to your waist and still be (reasonably) warm for a while, assuming you move vigorously (say, running).
If the water is 5 degrees above freezing, and you ever want to post again on xcskiforum,com, you have about 10 minutes to get out (unless you wear a full-on drysuit).

Dips and pull-ups good to incl in gym workouts, right? I recall someone saying that pull-ups are best indicator of doublepoling fitness. ?

Well, maybe. A steroid-head will do more pull-ups than ex-marathoner turned x-country skier, but who will do better in a 10K double-poling race...?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 am

Neuro wrote:I keep hearing the WC skiers say how upper body strength is the big difference to the older way of doing things where muscle mass was not wanted, so suggest to try some old fashioned strength exercises. I have had quite good results myself this summer rollerskiing. I feel it's easier to keep good technique when the arm and ab power is there.

Look for example at a couple of top skier's level of muscle mass:
Last edited by Neuro on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:10 am

But this in-between stretch has been extremely long. Still no snow after the first snowfall when was put gravel on all sidewalks and paths so no rollerskiing.

There's a 2 km loop with artificial snow I can go to, but it means 30 minutes metro + 10 minutes walk each way and that's not so tempting when the track itself is just up and down with lots of traffic.

Hoping for proper snow first week of January.

Return to “General Discussion”