Drop classic style for juniors, says John Northug

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Drop classic style for juniors, says John Northug

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:41 am

At first it sounds absurd what the father of legendary Petter Northug says, but upon reflection, there's something to it. And he should know, having raised 3 skiers.

He says it's just too expensive and complicated. With skating you can just send out your kid with a pair of skis and poles and that's it, but with classic nowadays one needs a whole ski park from zero to cold skis etc, and now there's even dedicated double poling skis and even double poling cold skis.. Then there are the different length poles as well. On top of that is the waxing conundrum (and cost)..

For a kid to sort this all out is too much, and for the parent to get on top of the hardware is also borderline and costs too much, especially with growing juniors needing new length skis every now and then. There's also the time consumption.

Your thoughts?

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Re: Drop classic style for juniors, says John Northug

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Interesting.

I recall that Junior racing here in Michigan might be Skate-only. Or used to be til recently. It is likely very skate oriented still. ...Due to this simplicity of gear. But "real" Junior racing in MI happens up north and only in communities w a groomed ski area.

If we're just talking casual Junior fun skiing, like for an hour after school days, then...

Classic can be done anywhere. ...Has trickier technical demands if doing it seriously.

Skating requires intensive course prep. ...Is simpler to do.

How to balance the concerns?

Classic has potentially very simple overhead -- then more complicated execution in the race setting.

Skating has much more work up front -- usually requiring machinery -- but is simpler once a course is in place.

I suppose if you have decent snow and a regular course or trail of any sort then maybe skating would work -- you can skate on a hiking trail if you tramp it out a bit more or skate it in. That is, it's possible to skate with somewhat minimal prep.

Around here, kids could classic ski anywhere as soon as we get snow. It would require some fussing and track setting of some sort for them to skate.

If they wanted to skate on a groomed course, there is ONE within 100 miles. So there's that.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Neuro wrote:At first it sounds absurd what the father of legendary Petter Northug says, but upon reflection, there's something to it.

No, I don't think there is anything to it. Classic skiing has probably never been easier to do now with the modern skin skis. I am not impressed by drunk driver Northug's family.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Yeah I can see the area/conditions will balance this like you say Jeff, but I should have mentioned this was for active/competitive skiing mostly. (didn't know skate tracks were so rare in your area though..)

Magnus Johansson wrote:
Neuro wrote:At first it sounds absurd what the father of legendary Petter Northug says, but upon reflection, there's something to it.

No, I don't think there is anything to it. Classic skiing has probably never been easier to do now with the modern skin skis. I am not impressed by drunk driver Northug's family.

Hm, don't know what drunk driving has to do with the topic here, but yeah, skin skis could really be the answer.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:53 am

It happened in Ontario years ago. All the High School races are skating. When the kids go to University it is a total disaster . Coaches have to start at the begining with a lot of racers in classic tech.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Maybe the writing is on the wall. I've seen several articles how kids and youngster mostly prefer skating anyway. There's been a debate about converting more tracks to skating in order to get youngster to ski more as they don't like striding as much. If I see some youngsters on the track (I'm on combined tracks), they are mostly skating, at least the boys.

Thinking about skins for competitions, there would still be striding + double poling skis, and I guess rulings about hair density and length could also get complicated.

Return to “General Discussion”