Trail fees

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Trail fees

Postby Neuro » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:11 am

Would be interesting to know if you pay fees, how much and if you have free alternatives. Grooming quality, facilities etc.

Just saw Tahoe Cross Country is $29 per day which I thought was quite steep. A season pass at $299 is ok if you ski a lot, but still. Of course the track looks superb with warm huts etc and the area great.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Trail fees

Postby TooHeavy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:15 pm

That is pricey. The four best centers in Southern Ont are $20 to $25 for a day pass on the Weekend. I think it is way high . A lot of them are grooming with snowmobiles now to cut costs and the price of fuel is down. Price of labor is up though. My cheap alternative is $50 season pass at a local club with 8km of groomed trail.

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:56 am

Some localish references for the Midwest:

Birkie - Daily $10, Season $50, Season Family $125
Minnesota Ski Pass (all state parks) - Daily $6, Season $20, 3 year $55
Three Rivers Parks (local snow making facilities included) - Daily $9, Season $75, Additional family season $37.50
Theodore Wirth/Minneapolis (other local snow making) - Daily $10, Season $70
Giants Ridge (downhill area with World Cup level (1980's) nordic trails in northern MN) - Daily $17, Season ???
ABR (primo grooming in lake effect snow northern Michigan) - Daily $14, Season $150, multi-day passes $8-$10/day

Recently I've gotten the MN season pass (and only used it once :() and the Three Rivers season pass and skied several hundred km on a 2.4km man made loop. Then just gotten daily passes for the infrequent trips elsewhere.

At $29 a day or $299 I wouldn't be skiing. Those are the downhill (key word hill, no mountains here in the midwest) prices around here.

UPrSKr
xcskiforum 30K

Postby UPrSKr » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:01 pm

My ski trail expenditures for my home trails (Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan) last season:
Season combo pass for Michigan Tech + Swedetown + Maasto hiihto + Chassell classic = $200
Season pass for Mount Bohemia Nordic Trails = $10 (for alpine season pass holders)
10 year Mount Bohemia alpine pass = $600
Keweenaw snowmobile club membership = $25

Pretty reasonable prices for the amount of skiing that I do. Daily cross country ski passes run around $10 - $15 in most of Upper Michigan, but I only need to buy them when I ski out of the local area. I also support the local snowmobile club. I ski a lot on the local snowmachine trails because it is the closest groomed skiing to where I live (Lac La Belle). I also do a lot of backcountry skiing which is totally free as long as you ski on lands that you can legally access. While I have done some skinning to access alpine powder skiing when the lifts aren't running, I prefer what is called "Performance backcountry skiing" which is bushwhacking on ultra lightweight gear, usually skating skis, on snowmachine trails, shallow powder, compact snow, crust, ice, or combination of trails, bush roads, and off trail.
Attachments
021-e.jpg
021-e.jpg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:37 pm

bmullin covered the trail fees for places I ski, but here's another point: enforcement

-MN ski pass. Virtually no enforcement for local golf courses (I've seen them out once in my many years of skiing). At state parks, I assume the enforcement is higher, but it may not be. Even the gateway trail is listed as requiring a MN ski pass, but the trail is never groomed, probably because we don't often get enough snow to groom.
-Three Rivers-Highland. They're out there often, particularly on weekend mornings. You're not going to ski without a pass for long. They're on top of it.
-Three Rivers-Elm Creek. Often, but not as often as Highland. Maybe that changed last year?
-Theo Wirth-Basically they had no enforcement but had "ambassadors" engaging the public trying to persuade them to buy a ticket. It sounds like that will change this year in that there's talk of actual (non-skiing) patrol of some type. They've dumped a lot of money and work into the course and they rightfully are looking for payback. They've rerouted the course and they're adding a cooling tower this week for snowmaking. They're going to build a beautiful new ski center that should be ready for next year's season.
-Birkie-Pretty much the honor system.

Jay

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Seems quite very varying prices. Is it all to do with grooming quality, frequency and facilities, or do you know if there are county or state involvement that explains some of it?

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Izaak Walton Inn - Daily pass $10. Season pass bought before December 9 is $50 - Grooming: So, So

Rendezvous Trails in West Yellowstone - Daily pass $8.00. Season Individual $40 and Family $75 - Grooming: Outstanding and done by Doug Edgerton
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:29 am

$35/$38 (holiday) At Royal '"Gore" in California. Grooming is good,not great

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Oh wow, how surprising that trail fees in Cali are that high (insert facetious emoticon). They have a whole different currency system down there.

Where I ski on Mt. Hood, they can't charge anything. I think because it's US forest land. They do request a ten dollar donation if you aren't a member of the club. There is another place with groomed trails across the road which does charge fifteen for a trail fee but there are maybe ten km of trails and they never set classic tracks.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:48 pm

How about Mammoth Lakes XC? (CA) Non-Holiday is $29! (10% more on holidays) Maybe 20k, and most of it is at 9000ft. Grooming is poor, lots of ice, little parking, no warming huts (but lots of good old L.A. attitude.)

Sometimes I wonder how this sport has survived in CA.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:40 pm

My local trail is the Birkie trai in Hayward, WI and a season pass is $50 . They groom at all times of day/night to get conditions the best possible. They also keep lights on at two different areas on the trail until 10pm. Also running water is starting to become available at warming huts. A race entry of $110ish for the Birkie and $50 bucks for a season which could mean grooming until May. That's a great deal in my mind.

I have skied hundreds of K's on the trail and never have seen a person checking for a pass. The honor system applies and it is absolutely taken advantage of. I wouldn't mind seeing some enforcement to bring more money in for trail maintenance and upkeep all year round.

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:28 am

The place I ski the most (Fahnestock Winter Park) is a state-run groomed facility and it's $12 a day this season I think. They do not sell season passes - the snow is not reliable enough.

There are state and private places around for roughly $15-18/day. More than $20/day would be a lot unless the grooming was exceptionally good.

One free groomed place I ski a little - Crandall in Glens Falls - which is a city facility I think. Groomed by volunteers doing a great job for what they have to work with. For me, the big advantage of this place is that it is open at any time - including early morning, whereas the paid places should not be skied until I've bought a pass for the day.

Oh, and there's a ski club with its own trail system groomed by the club/leading family with no day passes but very reasonable membership for the season - Saratoga Biathlon Club.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Might add that here in Norway there are as yet no fees for winter tracks as it's all done by voluntary/sporting organizations/clubs and county/municipalities, but the talk has come up around some hotels so I guess just a matter of time there although this is anathema to most.

In the summer there are tracks on glaciers that will have fees but these are mostly used by athletes so it's a bit different.

zzzz
xcskiforum 20K

Postby zzzz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Neuro wrote:Might add that here in Norway there are as yet no fees for winter tracks as it's all done by voluntary/sporting organizations/clubs and county/municipalities,

Same here in AK. I've never paid a trail fee in my life, but have been a member of the local ski club.

Burgesse
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Burgesse » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:07 am

As Jay said, here in MN if you ski on a state park trail or a "Grant in aid" trail you need a MN Ski Pass. Cost is $20 per year. That's a bargain. Enforcement is slight because of the cost to have DNR staff patrolling ski trail parking lots. We finally had a guy stop by our local trailhead this past winter and check for passes, no tickets issued just a warning. That was a welcome change. The fees are the source of the grants that pay for our grooming.

Return to “General Discussion”