Drills?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Drills?

Postby PortlandORXCER » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 pm

No, not the kind you use to make holes. I'm talking about ski drills to improve technique. How many of you do them? I like to compare skiing to swimming because the technique is so important; I know tht swimmers do a lot of drills to improve their stroke. In fact, I recently hired a swim coach and he told me to stop swimming laps and do specific drills until my stroke was correct. Do any ski coaches do things like that?

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Drills?

Postby jt10000 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:26 am

I used to quite a bit, especially during my annual "ski camp" of five days skiing between Christmas and New Years. Now I get on snow so rarely I just want to ski.

Common skating drills included different techniques without poles which could be done
- for speed/power - really committing to powerful weight transfers
- with poling imitation to work on body position
- holding poles together parallel to the ground in front of the body as an indicator of body position, and trying to have the upper body wobble much

Also skiing with poles and trying to extend glide as long as possible (including V2 trying to pole twice on each side). And easy downhills gliding on one ski.

One drill I should have done more was setting up a small course with two cones on a flat space and trying to step-turn figure eights around the cone as fast as possible.

I also used to do static balance drills indoors, such as those described in the book The Steady Ski.

EDIT to add here's a nice mix of skating drills https://youtu.be/vM6DSLWMEH8
They are for roller skiing, but can be done on snow too.
Last edited by jt10000 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:29 am

PortlandORXCER wrote:No, not the kind you use to make holes. I'm talking about ski drills to improve technique. How many of you do them? I like to compare skiing to swimming because the technique is so important; I know tht swimmers do a lot of drills to improve their stroke. In fact, I recently hired a swim coach and he told me to stop swimming laps and do specific drills until my stroke was correct. Do any ski coaches do things like that?

I often do them although I have been skiing for circa 45 years, and a lot of elite skiers also do them as well, among those Marcus Hellner, I believe. Skiing is, like you say, a very technical sport, so practicing technique, both classic and skating, is really important. At crosscountryskitechnique.com one gets a lot of valuable information on that matter. Have a look at the following video for a clear example of how important good technique is. At the end of the video Anders Södergren tells Jonas Karlsson that he could improve a lot by acquiring a better technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWHk_Carpnc

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:02 am

Just remembering, there's value in watching good skiers. For me, it's video of World Cup racing, including biathlon.

This is recent and very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHva4YISOZE&t=9m30s

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:31 am

the technique work I like costs $350 but i still like it.

i bought a pair of Cat Skis. dryland classic training skis. kinda like rollerskis for trails or grass. ...they re-teach me good kick every autumn. they're the opposite of the bad kick that regular classic rollerskis tend to train. you can't overkick the cat skis. if you do late-kick they spank you. they only work good when you use good technique. the earlier and earlier you kick the better they work. i had read that gliding is slowing. that "gliding out" is a result of speed but not what we should try to do. the cat skis discourage glide-out.

in the years i've had the cat skis whenever i first hit snow each season i seem to have pretty darn good kick.

classic is what i do most. i mean real classic. this might not apply to a lot of groomed trail skiing and races where classic means mostly doublepoling. i rarely DP. so i love a tool that teaches kick.

another trick i like probably also isn't a drill but i still really like it for training is to pick an average km/pace that I want to achieve. then i practice it on a short loop during training. ...to become familiar with and comfortable with my goal pace. ...if one wants to race faster it seems good to practice the faster pace. start by doing the faster pace for a much shorter distance where you CAN do that pace. you could even pick the race-winning pace and if you're a mid-packer you can see if you can do the winning-pace for a half-km or so. ...then add to that distance over time.

i think it is a drill: it's pace imitation.

in cyclocross racing there's a similar "drill" that is common. I suppose it's also common in xc skiing. it's simple: just hop in behind those who are faster than you are and try to keep up with them and to imitate them. yet not slavishly so. be relaxed. use your own style where suitable. then try to hang w them as long as seems smart. extending it as you get fitter.
Last edited by JeffOYB on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Postby jt10000 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:55 pm

JeffOYB wrote:another trick i like probably also isn't a drill but i still really like it for training is to pick an average km/pace that I want to achieve. then i practice it on a short loop during training. ...to become familiar with and comfortable with my goal pace. ...if one wants to race faster it seems good to practice the faster pace. start by doing the faster pace for a much shorter distance where you CAN do that pace. you could even pick the race-winning pace and if you're a mid-packer you can see if you can do the winning-pace for a half-km or so. ...then add to that.

i think it is a drill: it's pace imitation.

Yeah, this is a good one for race prep - pacing on a loop. We used to try to hit the same pace or tiny bit faster each loop.

Return to “General Discussion”