Cold feet fix?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

makerr
xcskiforum 10K

Cold feet fix?

Postby makerr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:25 pm

I have been having over the last few years more and more days where my feet are freezing up on me, even when the temperature is not terribly cold I am 62 now and I imagine that the circulation isn't what it used to be, but I'm wondering if there might be a fix.
This only happens when I skate and never when I am classic skiing where there is a lot more flexion of my foot taking place. I'm using a Salomon skate boot that I think fits well, but I'm wondering if another make of boot might allow more room in the toe box for improved circulation? How about a heated insole, has anyone here tried them? Thoughts or suggestions welcomed.
Cheers

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Cold feet fix?

Postby Raubie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Sounds like a fit issue (too small/too tight). I think other members have found more comfortable boots with wider lasts once switching from Salomon to NNN (IIRC Alpina, for example.). How old are your skate boots? The recent Salomon boots (RS17) are a marked improvement over their older boots (RS10). With my Salomons, sometimes I have to stop and loosen the quicklace as they make it too easy to overtighten.

You can try:
-Merino socks (if you don't already). I wouldn't ski without them regardless of temps, and have several pairs in different weights for all temps.
-Toe warmers. They do work well.
-Neoprene overboots (Salomon or Atomic) specifically for Profil or Pilot. *Buy them a size larger. I can ski esily to -10°F and still have warm feet. Some people wear them regardless of temp.

I hope you don't have to buy new boots and bindings.

makerr
xcskiforum 10K

Postby makerr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The boots are about 5 years old and are Salomon RS carbon( I don't see any numerical identifier for the model) Black with lots of white on them.
I'm inclined to agree that it's probably a fit issue, though I know that can be an expensive road to go down if I have to get new boots and bindings.
Could you explain what the "toe warmers are"
Thanks

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Raubie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:00 pm

I had to Google when Salomon switched from RS10 soles to RS17. Looks like it happened for the 2010/2011 season.

More info http://www.nordicskiracer.com/news.asp?NewsID=5275#.WH10EuvEirU

As far as Toe warmers go, you can buy a 10-pack of Grabbers at Walmart. Just open the package and attach the adhesive side to the inside top (best) or bottom of your boots. They work by oxidation, so you'll start to feel the warmth in about ~10mins, and will last for a few hours. News to me, they now have full-foot warmers.

How to use: http://www.ems.com/ea-how-to-use-hand-a ... rmers.html

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXXBYvAcX3Q[/Youtube]

Hopefully a cheap and effective solution for you.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 pm

I had problems with my feet getting cold early this year. The solution boiled down to fit for me. I wear a boot that cannot fit a thicker sock in it without becoming kind of tight. I switched to a thinner nordic smart wool sock and keep my laces tied snug but not too tight. Turns out I was unknowingly cutting off my circulation slightly by wearing too thick of a sock and getting excited to ski fast and lacing up too tight. Now I have almost too hot of feet in the same boot.

makerr
xcskiforum 10K

Postby makerr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try the thin socks and toe warmers. Hopefully that will do the trick. If not there is an outfitters close by that has lots of rental stuff and will let me try out a few different boots as well.
Cheers

Return to “General Discussion”