Biking beats Skiing for Winter Adventure...why?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Biking beats Skiing for Winter Adventure...why?

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:59 am

Why is the Bike Scene growing hugely for winter adventure fun. In both day action and for adventure races and challenging tours. The bike people are going nuts figuring everything out. They've developed a couple whole new sports from scratch.

...While XC Skiing has sat on its butt the whole time, and still is.

Biking is all-in on the ultra-light bikepacking overnight fun and gear-addiction, with full-on MYOG action, for all climates.

I haven't read ANYTHING like this about xc skiers! Tim Kelley posted some things years ago. He's come the closest afaik.

I just don't see the XC Scene developing light packs and systems that work great for overnight far-and-fast touring. Nor any events built around that. (I've heard about the ski and snowshoe categories for Arrowhead 135 but they sure don't get much press. I don't even know if they're done anymore. It's all fatbike all the time now in terms of the PR.)

The ONLY xc ski adventure stuff I ever see is basically Alpine-Touring in avalanche zones. Heavy gear in the steeps. ...And even there I don't see much with multi-day adventuring. ...There are a couple famous races in the mountains, though, where ppl carry packs.

Nothing from the huge world of hardwood snow trails.

Now, I'm not all that connected to news out there. Hopefully it's happening. I kinda doubt it. It sure isn't being publicized! I *do* see quite a few videos being pushed for extreme alpine skiing, along the lines of the popular bike stunt videos. I have zero interest in any of that but it finds its way to me steadily. I would think that, given my interests, if there were Gungho XC Ski Adventures happening in the hardwoods that I might hear about some of it. Who knows.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

DMK
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Biking beats Skiing for Winter Adventure...why?

Postby DMK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:20 pm

There's people being adventurous on skis in AK. I am sure it happens elsewhere as well. Many folks up here are doing cool trips, they just don't get much press.

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/ ... -the-alps/

Having said all of that, I think fat biking is more popular for winter adventures these days. I think there are two things driving it. Fat biking is relatively new and people are getting into and seeing what they can do. Also, if you are on a ski trip you've either got a heavy pack or pulling a sled if you are out for more than a light overnight. With the bike you can put all or most of your gear on your bike.

Dave

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Re: Biking beats Skiing for Winter Adventure...why?

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:27 pm

if skiers were like bikers they'd be creating fun sexy sled packing kits that let them haul fun stuff super easily. the sleds would be on runners that set a track as they went. ...or something.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “General Discussion”