broke my arm ... rats!

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

broke my arm ... rats!

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:42 pm

well so much for my season.

skiing my fave trail on faster skis i misjudged melting ice at bottom of a hill and wham did a gravity slam.

radius ulna 4 pieces near wrist.

plate/screw,etc., next week.

so i likely wont be posting as much. ha. ol' one hander. determined to bounce back so i will be back to typing asap if not dblpoling.

least it coincides w nasty conds tho that never slows us much.

...just so u dont think sthg wrong due to less ski fever posting.

sniff sniff
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Raubie
xcskiforum 50K

Re: broke my arm ... rats!

Postby Raubie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Ouch! Good luck with your recovery Jeff.

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Ouch!

Maybe time to experiment with new techniques for single sticking?

Heal up.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:05 am

That was sad to hear, Jeff. I hope you will get well as soon as possible. I can imagine such an injury takes a lot of rehab training.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:48 am

Best wishes for a good recovery Jeff.
38th consecutive Birkie in 2018!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:34 pm

I guess you take "Go big or go home" seriously. Take care of that arm. You did some serious damage.

Jay

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 pm

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I too will also miss the snow season this year (now it's just started..) as I just had a herniated disc so must take it easy for 60 days following surgery.. :-(

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:42 am

Jeff- you are actually doing better than you think. You probably have health insurance.
If you did not, you'd not be thinking much about the broken arm and instead about the thousands of $K streaming from your pocket to the pockets of quacks and hospitals. With insurance, think of it as an enforced "vacation" :mrgreen:

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Sounds like a good excuse to be lazy for a while. As a newbie I do worry about the inherent risks associated with XC skiing but at least we are outdoors, active, and free.

aqua resistance is a good way to ease back into training.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:39 am

neuro wrote: I just had a herniated disc so must take it easy for 60 days following surgery..

Sorry to hear that - back problems are among the worst to deal with :-(

This ties back to something Jeff mentioned on a different thread (hip pain), and I think is important.
We (people who post here) are outdoor/aerobic sports - oriented. Most of us are also probably well beyond our teens and 20s.
Even in our 50s we can still do endurance workouts that are not much different from those we did in our 20s.
This means a lot of junk kilometers/miles - slow slog at HR 150 -+10, on (roller)skis, bicycles, kayak (me) etc.
Those workouts feel good (we are outdoors), but we are doing disfavor to our bodies.
As we age, it is EXTRAORDINARILY important to 1) stretch and 2) strength train.
Hard strength workout 2-3x / week + quality pilates/yoga workout 3-4x/week (can be done as supplement to other workouts) will do far more for us than another slow 3 hours on the skis/bike/..
Yes, not much fun, but just like your vegetables - you gotta eat'em

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:21 am

Absolutely. The weird thing is that I've never trained more strength (gym 2-3 times a week) than I've done last years and still the disc slipped, but true that I've been neglecting stretching completely. Maybe that's really the key so will be sure to do that from now on.

But apparently the disc undergoes a change between the age of 40-50 (I guess hardens), and during this time it's prone to tears. I just woke one night and it had herniated. Was even on a rest day so quite bizarre really.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:13 am

neuro wrote:The weird thing is that I've never trained more strength (gym 2-3 times a week) than I've done last years and still the disc slipped, but true that I've been neglecting stretching completely. Maybe that's really the key so will be sure to do that from now on.

Right. Taking vitamin pills this week will not erase the vitamin deficiency you developed by not eating your veggies fo the last year.

neuro wrote:But apparently the disc undergoes a change between the age of 40-50 (I guess hardens), and during this time it's prone to tears.

Geneticists have a saying "genes load the gun, the environment pulls the trigger". Looks like you are genetically predisposed, but the slipped disk might have been triggered by a life-long poor diet / too much repetitive motion / not enough stretching etc... We can't be sure, but the likelihood is high.

Again, feel lucky you are in Norway and have health insurance - your pain is mostly physical/emotional, and not financial :D
Back in 2013 I lost my job, and since I was (I thought) in excellent health (all those aerobic junk miles :-) I did not think necessary to get private health insurance before I got a new job.
Bad assumption - I got a detached retina- if not operated immediately, you may lose your eye.
As I was wheeled into the operating room, my wife was googling how much it will cost.
In US they don't tell you the price upfront, just send you the bill later. You figure the bill out by counting the zeros in it.
Since blindness is somewhat worse (at least to me) than broken arm/herniated disk, I am happy I can still see well, even while $45,000 poorer.

If I were you, as soon as I'd get better and ready to go outside, I'd blow at least 1K euros on a new set of skis/rollerskis/bicycle/yoga classes etc. to celebrate the good luck.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:03 am

thx!

ive been trying to learn lesson from this. (surg next wed.)

might be that i shldnt do so much underskiing -- opting for speed over control. use shorter slower skis w stronger torsion. a bit like the underbiking thing: i like cx before the ground freezes for a reason: we crash in cx. i do crash in skiing but singletrack raises stakes. already in truly big terrain we all do this: use slower skis better handling control beefier bindings. the nnn-bc is awesome. i also pondered wearing pro more often.

i wd say my skills, power for saves, are slightly down so there's that: shd adapt to slower reflex as i age.

darn i was peaking, aiming for overall trail marathon record.

still: sht happens. first injury in a decade of singletrack fever. first injury in 30 yrs overall! ...knok knok

(no friends hurt singletracking in that time either. so one incident, hey not bad.)

(obamacare saved our fam 3 times now. 2 procedures and overall savings, better coverage.)
Jeff Potter

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:41 pm

skiffrace wrote:Since blindness is somewhat worse (at least to me) than broken arm/herniated disk, I am happy I can still see well, even while $45,000 poorer.

If I were you, as soon as I'd get better and ready to go outside, I'd blow at least 1K euros on a new set of skis/rollerskis/bicycle/yoga classes etc. to celebrate the good luck.

45K Jeez.. :shock:
You're right about my luck in this regard, was thinking about it when wheeled into the surgery. Might really take your advice and blow some cash to celebrate. Maybe a Brompton foldable bike to replace the city scooter.

Also probably right about predisposition, both my father and I always have some lower back issues but never anything serious. Should mention that the disk slipped not long after my first long classic ski trip for years (always skating, both roller and snow), really hope there's no connection, but then classic style is known to be harder on backs than skating, isn't it..

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:55 pm

PS: my surg went great and my arm healed awesome. no complaints! i had the most awesome PT person, too. lucky break indeed. it was even embarrassing. ...arm massages 3x/wk from someone very sweet who looked like a supermodel.
Jeff Potter

Return to “General Discussion”