Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Re: The danger of roller skiing

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:
JeffOYB wrote:Rollerskis are known to also destroy classic technique

I think that is due to poor skiing technique. The problem has nevertheless been addressed by e.g. German brand Skirol: http://skirol.de/.

How does this address the problem? It looks like there is another roller in front of the binding. ?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:24 pm

davidb wrote:Jeff-
I don't think rollerskiing destroys technique at all. Maybe it requires 5-10 minutes first day on snow to adjust kick, but other than that, technique is usually improved dramatically, due to strength/balance gains. ...

Possible. ...But the typical ski has not been HELPING ones kick all during training. It's been impairing kick and then one has to become reacquainted with correct kick. Big difference for such a technique sport.

Of course it depends on if your race course rewards technique or doublepoling... Few reward striding to any noticeable extent. Ha!

I agree that rollersking in general can help w strength and balance. Not strength of legs however. Well, I suppose that one could remember to do it right, but it would be kind of forced. The device would not help or hinder good technique.

Cat Skis reward good technique and discourage bad technique. You cannot overkick them. If you try to underkick or overstride you will be sorry. I kinda like em. But I like striding.
Jeff Potter

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:39 am

JeffOYB wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:
JeffOYB wrote:Rollerskis are known to also destroy classic technique

I think that is due to poor skiing technique. The problem has nevertheless been addressed by e.g. German brand Skirol: http://skirol.de/.

How does this address the problem? It looks like there is another roller in front of the binding. ?

By being the wheel with the ratchet. That wheel is not in contact with the road unless you shift your weight onto it, just like on skis when getting the grip wax to make contact with the snow.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:32 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:
JeffOYB wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:

By being the wheel with the ratchet. That wheel is not in contact with the road unless you shift your weight onto it, just like on skis when getting the grip wax to make contact with the snow.

Nice.
Jeff Potter

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:59 pm

We've had a group of skiers rollerskiing for years (on Sunday), as in 25 years. Falls hardly ever happen (hate to say that.) There have been a few falls from hitting a rock (not picking up a rock and jamming it between the frame and wheel--never heard of that). The frequency is probably about as frequent as bicycle crashes, but certainly infrequent. I'd say it's probably a bit more common for a fall on uphills and down, because you're looking for rocks going downhill. I'm also more worried about classic skis than skaters (since my classic skis have fat, flat wheels.) There is also the occasional "pole in front of the ski" fall, but I don't think the good skiers do that. The biggest problem we have is car "cutting corners" and dragging gravel into the road.

I think the benefits of rollerskiing certainly outweigh the risk of falling, well, i.e. if you're racing.

Jay

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:11 am

This looks like a good way of getting road rash if you fall

Padiel.jpg
Victoria Padiel
Padiel.jpg (152.14 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Neuro wrote:Another World Cup skier with medal chances at the Olympics, Didrik Tonseth (Norway), had a nasty spill in Italy now. Concussion and scrapes. Going 50 kph downhill and a gravel road side road had spilled gravel onto the main which stopped Didrik's wheel. He said he was lucky and could have been much worse.

Again, disappointed with the Norwegian coaches who doesn't insist on roads being inspected first. Of course the coaching style here is traditionally very hands off, but the team could have potentially lost an olympic medal because of this.

2 months later and still headaches. Seems the season is over. Could even affect his career this, losing his place on the national team. Difficult to come back from that.

I hope lessons are learned here.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:59 pm

If you're in hills, you have to know the roads. Even when I know the road, I don't like 50 kph. There's no room for "problems" at that speed. We have a loop with a steep climb and a gradual decent (perfect), but even on that downhill, there are sometimes rocks in a corner, and we check out out the downhill by first climbing it before coming down.

Hopefully Tonseth will be able to compete effectively this winter.

Jay

Return to “General Discussion”