Cold winter this time?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Cold winter this time?

Post by Neuro » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:58 am

Had a batch of snow so some tracks are now open around Oslo, although I won't go just yet as it's only 20 cm thin layer and I don't have a pair of 'stone skis'. Encouraging though.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Post by MN Hoser » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:32 pm

So, another update. We've been waiting for our first snow that's deep enough to groom. There's been some dustings and maybe 2 inches...enough to go tromp around on the golf course for a couple days, but not enough grooming or skiing for a week or two. There's a snow storm coming our way, but it's going north, so we're predicted to get a lot of rain. Hopefully it'll go south or pick up some cold air, but I doubt it.

I saw a graph showing MPLS Christmas temps for that past 30 years or so, and we're 5.4 F warmer. So with this precip, if we were 2 or 3 F colder we'd probably have a big dump like a 12" or so.

Damn,

Jay

Montana
World Cup

Post by Montana » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:22 am

Montana on the east side of the Continental Divide (Glacier NP and south) snow is very thin. None on the plains and mountain snows thin as well. A little more on the west side but valley snow is also thin. West Yellowstone is good but not especially deep yet. Up until Christmas it's been fairly warm but the last few days have turned colder. Hopefully snow will come.
40th consecutive Birkie in 2020!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:30 am

French Northern Alps is generally poor. A few high altitude areas are open but we've had rain to 2700 meters at times.
Warmest 2018 on record.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:47 am

Yes still nothing after the first fall, and without 'stone skis' haven't dared to venture out yet although there are tracks open.

I used a whole a Sunday this fall to clear a track of the worst stones so that I wouldn't need much snow, but I think this layer of 20-25 cm is just bit too thin with so much traffic, and more snow won't come before January..

Glacier Glide
xcskiforum 20K

Post by Glacier Glide » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:34 pm

West side of the divide in Montana not much better for valley skiing - just not enough coverage. Higher elevation skiing(4,000' +) is slowly getting better. I am still skiing on my rock skis though because every once in a while under larger trees there might be some rocks kicked up from the groomer. Our club bought a new Prinoth snow groomer this year for the mountain trails, but there still is not enough snow coverage to use it in certain areas.
Jeff

Glacier Glide
xcskiforum 20K

Post by Glacier Glide » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Update since last post. It has been snowing. Golf course in town has opened up with with a couple inch base and all mountain trails are now 100% open. It has not come in any large dump, but 1/2 - 2" a day adds up as long as it stays cold. :D
Jeff

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Post by JeffOYB » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:18 pm

ah ha ha! in mid michigan we got a few inches in november and since then only two 1/2" snowfalls -- both of which I skied hard on!

'all skis are rock skis and all snow is good snow.'

today i got a good outing on an EIGHTH INCH!!! :)
thin.snow.tiny.jpg.jpg
thin.snow.tiny.jpg.jpg (95.71 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Post by MN Hoser » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 am

I just got back from the Birkie trail. Surprisingly, it was good skiing. I say surprisingly because they haven't had that much snow, but there was some rain a week ago that froze and provided a good base for the snow that followed. I used training (skate) skis and skied 00 to the Powerlines mainly on the skate trail and saw no problems. Tracks were set without dragging up any dirt. Yesterday I classic skied on my new skis (as of 2 seasons ago) from the Start to Timber Trail and back on the classic trail. There was some tree work in the woods (I assume branches down) on the classic trail so there were some minor problems. The classic skis could climb anything and still had glide, but were icing in the unskied tracks. Very happy with the skis in natural snow.

Still waiting for snow in St. Paul. Racing tomorrow on a combo of artificial and natural snow in Mora (75 min north).

Jay

Glacier Glide
xcskiforum 20K

Post by Glacier Glide » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:30 am

2nd update three days later. Golf course now closed again, it rained pretty hard Wednesday night and part of Thursday. Supposed to rain on and off through the weekend here in the valley. Everything over 4,000' is still good.
Jeff

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Post by MN Hoser » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:39 pm

I'm just into the brown section and we're having record warmth today, so that should take care of the snow. I was just up in the deepest snow section (purple) and they had so much snow they couldn't compress the snow fast enough with grooming. My poles were poking though. What a great ski except I was worried I made a wrong turn and I was running out of daylight to turn around. It all worked out, but I kept catching my tips in the deep snow on the edge of the trail and went down a couple times. Still, it was a great ski on a great trail system (Sugarbush) and I'd love to go back. I should have brought classic skis.

Jay

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Post by dcpattie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:48 am

Here is our "Plan B" in the Mid-Atlantic:

Dave in Nordic Virginia

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Post by Pat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Hey that was funny Dave. Outside of that November freak storm that we had I haven't been on snow. I was roller skiing at the Brandywine battlefield last Sunday and it started to flurry. The few walkers and runners thought I caused the snow to appear -- I didn't know I had those powers.

Pat

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Post by MN Hoser » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Another update. I’m still thinking we may get snow this winter. I’ve been up north every weekend for a while now. The Birkie Trail has snow, but it’s now at a point where I’ll use my rock skis (on the northern sections). There’s too much tree material mulched in with the snow to tell if they’re dragging up dirt and rocks. They certainly did drag up dirt and rocks in the classic tracks last weekend. I haven’t tried going south of OO. I think the reports have been overly optimistic, but maybe that’s based on no snow around here. (I’ve been rollerskiing and riding the bike).

The north shore of MN is a different story, as are north central MN and the places with snow making, but unfortunately, they can only host so many races and the other races are cancelling.

No snow in sight, but we’re predicted to get cold, so the lake ice should improve. At least if we get an inch, there will be lake skiing. Some skiers are ice skating on the lakes because they’re super smooth.

I’ll have to look for my skate (not sure if I still have a pair.)

Jay

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:41 am

Front page news over here in Norway how the biggest ever air mass from the Arctic is going down America so Midwest to get very chilly indeed.

Here it has hardly been below -10 C, but still February to go of course.